Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still primarily searching for a 560 SL but I ran across this very cool 280 SL on the "bay". I have looked through the archives on 280's and seems this is a really interesting configuration. Gotta love the better fuel milage!

Do you all have thoughts on this particular car or the seller? He appears to have sold quite a few 280's and perhaps one of these is represented here on this forum.

Thanks.

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : SL-Class (item 290202128886 end time Feb-03-08 20:00:00 PST)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Do you all have thoughts on this particular car or the seller?
The car looks beautiful, without a question. Reading through the description, the only thing that gave me any kind of red flag was the "started and warmed up once a week" line. That kind of thing contributes to carbon buildup and breaks down the oil so it doesn't lubricate as well. Personally I'd prefer a 280SL with a 4 or 5 speed manual transmission, but that's no reflection on the car and you may feel differently. I saw nothing about the suspension being rebuilt and that would be required due to time. Rubber breaks down and there's nothing you can do about it. Subframe mounts and bushings - easily replaced over a weekend and it transforms the car. Also engine mounts.

The car is located fairly close to me. If you'd like to have someone check it out in person, I wouldn't mind a drive down PCH this weekend. I'd still suggest a mechanical check first.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I own a 560SL, but also really like the 280SL. I have a real soft spot for the dohc inline 6. For me, that engine coupled to a 4 or 5 speed would be great fun; the automatic, not so much. Instead of experiencing the joy of revving the engine through the gears, I think you'll experience the inferiority of lack of power to the 560 you've been thinking about. Just my own opinion- Like a friend of mine used to say, there's an ass for every seat!

Chief

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are all really good thoughts. The most important I believe is the need for a 4/5 speed. That would make a 280SL a real keeper and worth all the other expenses associated with getting any 25 year old car in top condition.

I will pass on this car, but would still like to know if any of you all have dealt with the seller.

Scott, thank you very much for offering to take a look at this one. In the future, I may very well find another one close to you and need your help. Seems like you folks in Southern Ca have more to chose from than us in Carolina!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
The only reason I would buy a 280 would be for the 5 speed. As a high mileage solution I think the 300SL will out do it. I would love to have the opportunity to drive a 280 with a stick. Does anyone know if the 300SL (107) was offered with a stick.

John Roncallo

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,100 Posts
The only reason I would buy a 280 would be for the 5 speed. As a high mileage solution I think the 300SL will out do it. I would love to have the opportunity to drive a 280 with a stick. Does anyone know if the 300SL (107) was offered with a stick.

John Roncallo
The ONLY reason I bought the 280SL was for the stick. Don't buy one for fuel economy.
And Roncallo, you can thrash mine if we ever meet up.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
The ONLY reason I bought the 280SL was for the stick. Don't buy one for fuel economy.
And Roncallo, you can thrash mine if we ever meet up.
That would be good. I hope the 5 speed automatic in the V12 107 doesn't bore the shit out of you.

John Roncallo

·
Registered
147 Posts
The pleasure of driving a manual 107 compared to an auto, even a 500SL, is worth so much that I can only advise you to take the time to find one. They're not that rare.
Desirability...
1- Real 500SL AMG with manual
2- 1986-1989 300SL because you can put in a four-valve if you want, then it's a 200hp plus car
3- 280SL with 4 or 5 spd, doesn't really make a difference, but with K-Jet injection because it's easy to improve, look up the A1-A2 Volks sites
4- 350SL, very rare, quite collectible

Laverda

1 - 10 of 10 Posts