Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '72 280 SEL will only start if i pour fuel into the throttle body/intake manifold....i was thinking it was the injectors or fuel pump....help....

·
Registered
499 Posts
On the front of the engine,by the front of the drivers side rocker cover is a device with a lead(2 wires) running to it,thats the cold start injector,check with a multimeter that you have current running to it while the ignition key is cranking the engine over.If it is not getting current,run a hot lead from tyhe battery to it and one to earth on the engine,it should click when you connect it,signifying that that it is opening.Pull it off and do the same with engine off,Ignition ON.
NOT running,because if it is working there will be fuel spraying all over the ignition distributor,you DO NOT WANT THAT[}:)].If it doesn't squirt fuel replace it.That should fix some starting problems,but i suspect that the ECU or the pump relay has failed,the pump is not getting a signal on start up posistion.If the engine starts and runs with fuel when you pour it down the spout,that means the fuel pump is OK ,it's just not getting power when you crank the ignition.Once the engine is running a different signal is sent from the ECU to power the pump.The pump relay is in a group behind the pasenger side headlight next to the ECU.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No problem at all AL,just let me know the symptoms and I'll sort it[:D]
The D jet is very basic once you get into it.In fact i've heard it said it's "stone axe " technology.
Cheers Ron B.

·
Registered
1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
415 Posts
[:)]Hi,
Clean and check your trigger points-they can cause all kinds of strange drivability problems. Also installing a Pertronix ignitor ignition is a good idea. Did wonders for mine and no points.
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts