1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes GE 280
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:)]
Good evening,
since a few weeks I own a Mercedes 280GE LWB, 1979, type 460 2B. It is in a very good condition but I can't find out where is was used and for what purpose. It is very very blue with a small yellow lining. It has a hole in the roof (Dont know the correct word in english) and there is also a guncase in the roof. There are also gunclamps next to each seat. It is imported from Germany and was probably used by the Bundesgrenzschutz, but I have no proof for that. Maybe someone knows more???????.
Thanks and greetings from Belgium.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
wout - 5/5/2005 5:50 PM

[:)]
Good evening,
since a few weeks I own a Mercedes 280GE LWB, 1979, type 460 2B. It is in a very good condition but I can't find out where is was used and for what purpose. It is very very blue with a small yellow lining. It has a hole in the roof (Dont know the correct word in english) and there is also a guncase in the roof. There are also gunclamps next to each seat. It is imported from Germany and was probably used by the Bundesgrenzschutz, but I have no proof for that. Maybe someone knows more???????.
Thanks and greetings from Belgium.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
[email protected]
If you will go to the following website, and enter your Fg.Nr., it will give you an idea of who was the original buyer.

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

·
Registered
Mercedes GE 280
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[:(]
Thanks for the information. I did enter the VIN but it works only for vehicles build after 1980. Their system doesn't recognize my number. Thanks anyway
Wout

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
wout - 5/5/2005 6:13 PM

[:(]
Thanks for the information. I did enter the VIN but it works only for vehicles build after 1980. Their system doesn't recognize my number. Thanks anyway
Wout
Did you put a WDB in front of the number or a VAG if your VIN has a "9" in the sixth from the last place. Example:

460232179xxxxx

·
Registered
Mercedes GE 280
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[:)][:)]
Works beautifully. Got a lot more information. Thanks again.
with kind regards,
Wout

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
If it was imported from Germany you may still have the original cancelled log book. From what you have described it would almost certainly be a ex BGS type, BGS types were used by other arms. however if in the original German registration the registered number began BG then it was isuued originaly to BGS.
The one I have had an original registration BG but was then used by the British army in operations in DDR & Eastern Block countries and later in the Balkan conflict with the UNMIC Kosovo Force and later with GST.
BGS were normaly fitted with 6 single seats I note from your pic that yours has a bench seat.
EDIT: Did you get you vehicle from Young Time Classiscs by any chance.
A number of vehicles were kitted out in this way for hunting parties.

·
Registered
1983 MBZ 280GE
20 Posts
Dutch:
I put in the VIN for my 83 460 280GE at the site you provided with no results. While with this age of vehicle anything is possible. However, I have original paperwork back to 83 of the original owner who purchased it in Switzerland then brought over to the US. Hmmm... Any clues or other sites to check?
EJN

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Idaho460 - 5/6/2005 6:31 PM

Dutch:
I put in the VIN for my 83 460 280GE at the site you provided with no results. While with this age of vehicle anything is possible. However, I have original paperwork back to 83 of the original owner who purchased it in Switzerland then brought over to the US. Hmmm... Any clues or other sites to check?
EJN
Follow my instructions here:

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1209296&mid=1475490&fid=30#M1475490

If that still doesn't work, send me your VIN by email, and I'll tell you if it's the correct format. Federalizers played lots of silly games while doing their work, so anything is possible.

·
Registered
67 300 SEL, 85 500 SEL, 90 420 SEL
170 Posts
Hi,

your Gelaendewagen is from an organisation called
"Technisches Hilfswerk" or THW. All their vehicles are painted in this beautiful bright blue.
They have mostly 4x4 vehicles in their fleet and it
looks like they keep them for about 25 years.
You can find some for sale on www.vebeg.de
This organisation is mainly called to duty in case of a natural disaster which does not happen to often
in Germany. They have 25 year old vehicles in their
fleet with less than 30.000 km.
Mechnically they should be in excellent condition
but they are not spared from rust.

Good luck with your GE and best regards

Hans

·
Registered
Mercedes GE 280
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a lot of response on my questions about my G. Finally, with the help of a few people I found out that this car was used by Technische Hilfswerke Ortsverband Harburg.I will contact them for more information . Everyone thanks a lot. As 4x4rancher said "Sherlock Holmes lives"He is undercover in Belgium.
Thanks again
Wout

1 - 12 of 12 Posts