Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am new to Mercedes and
I am thinking about buying a 280ce 1978 with 250000km from a colleauge thats been sitting in hes garage for about 17 years. The engine has been rebulit and floor panels changed, repainted 10 years ago in citrus green looks brand new with all the chrome details, problem is that it wont start, he changed all fuel lines,pump,filter and a used fuel distributor. The pump pumps when you turn the key and it starts but stops right away, before it got placed in the garage it just died while driving.

So i am wondering what would be reasonable to offer him for it and maybe any tip om what could be the problem with the fuel system.

Regards

·
Registered
1984 280TE Euro; 1983 240D; (Sold)1982 300D Turbo
208 Posts
Pump one runs for a second when you turn the key to the on position.

Car needs three things to run, spark, fuel, air, so need go through and see what the engine is not getting.

Price? Hard to say but a car thats been sitting that long will need a lot than just getting the engine running (brakes, tires, etc)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pump one runs for a second when you turn the key to the on position.

Car needs three things to run, spark, fuel, air, so need go through and see what the engine is not getting.

Price? Hard to say but a car thats been sitting that long will need a lot than just getting the engine running (brakes, tires, etc)
Yeah all he told me the issue is no fuel gets to the injectors after it starts.

I agree price is always hard to place since its not running and so on, ive only seen it once, he pretty much changed it all when it comes to brakes, suspension, exhaust and repainted front and back end.

Cant really fond any for sale in Sweden eighter so not really any guideline for the Price, checked om the web and it seems like there is around 220 w123 coupes registered in Sweden.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,731 Posts
Might just be dirty connections on fuel pump relay or fuel pump relay itself has failed. Located on left side of engine bay near the hinge.

You can turn key to run position and press down on round plate of airflow sensor to see if fuel pump runs (you’ll hear a squeal noise) Careful not to do it too long or the cylinders will fill with fuel putting you in dangerous hydrolock territory if you crank engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might just be dirty connections on fuel pump relay or fuel pump relay itself has failed. Located on left side of engine bay near the hinge.

You can turn key to run position and press down on round plate of airflow sensor to see if fuel pump runs (you’ll hear a squeal noise) Careful not to do it too long or the cylinders will fill with fuel putting you in dangerous hydrolock territory if you crank engine.
Alright thanks, gonna ask him if we could try this, would it work to disconnect the fuelpump connections and check with a multimeter instead?

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,731 Posts
You could just pull the relay and test via schematic on relay cover as well.

Also WUR is powered by fuel pump relay, which is critical for cold start via the cold control pressure of the K Jet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You could just pull the relay and test via schematic on relay cover as well.

Also WUR is powered by fuel pump relay, which is critical for cold start via the cold control pressure of the K Jet.
So i talked a bit more with My colleauge and he did change the pump relay in the engine bay, ive seen that there is a relay u can acess from inside the car bit maybe that is the same one.

He said the pump is pumping but the preasure isnt getting high enough to keep the car on, if he keeps the pedal down it stays on for longer but dies eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts