Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 ML 250 BlueTec; 02 Sequoia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bought a '99 E320 Wagon AWD in IL, and drove it home to MN this weekend. The original window sticker is in the glovebox, and the car is rated for 20 City and 26 Hwy. Imagine my pleasant surprise after I calculated my MPG for the first tank of gas at 27.6. How sweet that is compared to my Toyota Sequoia.

First impressions are good, there are a few things broken on the interior (some plastic stuff -- cupholder in the way back, cupholder in the center console, one of the vent fins for the back seat pasengers on the back of the center console), and the door jam protective plates for the back seat have broken off as well.

Overall though, nice highway driving characteristics.

Here's the weird thing, the car's window sticker says AWD, but they don't mention the word 4Matic. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Regards,

Boris

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2013 C300 4MATIC
36 Posts
Congratulations Boris. I've been watching the w210 market for a 4matic wagon to replace a Land Rover that cannot pass a gas station. Great news on the fuel consumption. If you don't mind, what did you pay, how many miles and what color?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here's the scoop.

I was looking locally on Craigslist and a few other sites. I spoke with the buying service at my credit union, and he told me they don't get many of those vehicles coming through the dealer auctions here.

I decided to broaden my search a little, a try the Chicago Craigslist (after all, there are more rich people in Chicago). My CL search in Chicago paid off. I contacted the dealer, checked the carfax report (indeed, only one owner), and called the buying service guy at the bank. He looked up what the guy paid at auction, and what he was charging, and he said that was a good price and he couldn't do any better.

So, the particulars: 88k miles, price: $8500.

Here's his website (he pretty much only deals in lower mile older european imports):

Premium Imports Online - North Aurora, Illinois - Home

Regards,

Boris

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
Boris,

If you have W/S button next to the shifter, then your car comes with AWD or 4MATIC.
That button is located there for 00 model. I bet that yr MB did not update the shifter console around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the W/S mode switch.

I thought the 4Matic has been around longer. I just thought it odd that the car was not labeled as such.

Regards,

Boris

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
My car has an W/S button on the center console but its not an 4matic or 4wd. Its just a regular e320

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
PS, I think the W/S button is for winter or sport driving?? can anyone confirm this?
and also I'm getting 19-21 MPG I know for a fact that my car has big time issues, like check engine light comes on every so often.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Some things you can do...

Hey Boris, welcome, I think you will find these cars to be nothing short of amazing.
Is this your first MB?

And Lee, There are allot of things you can do to get your miles back over 35/22 mpg.
First go to autozone and find out what codes are on.
Also, watch for MAF and O2's getting dirty and old. With the price of USA gas getting close to the world price, I don't wait for these items to all out fail. As much as I drive, when my miles drop below 33/20 mpg, I am under the hood!!! There are many people here who can advise you much better than I.

Hope this helps
B

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi, Doc, and welcome to the forum (and to the world of MB!!). Please take a minute to complete your online profile re: vehicle and location as that can prove useful going forward.

I have nothing useful to add re: the AWD indication, that is odd. You can use the Russian VIN site to decode your car and that will tell you a bit more, too. Use the search function in this forum and look for the word Russian in the title and you'll easily find it.

The W/S is nothing to do with AWD. W is winter, S is all else. The only difference is in the W mode the car starts in second gear and the shift points are modified in an attempt to maximize available traction on slippery surfaces. Some contend that running the W mode returns better mileage, however the added "lug" on the engine suggests perhaps not. I've run with it on and have seen no mileage difference in mixed driving.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Here's the weird thing, the car's window sticker says AWD, but they don't mention the word 4Matic. I'm not sure what's up with that.
4Matic is a Mercedes marketing term and cannot be used by any other manufacturer. AWD indicates a system where all 4 wheels are driven at all times, where as the term 4WD (4 wheel drive) normally indicates a system which can be manually switched between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. So your Mercedes is a permanent 4 wheel drive (AWD) and is called a 4Matic, while an AWD VW Passat is a 4Motion, etc.

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic wagon
79 Posts
Boris, congrat on the wagon, I have also oftern gotten about 28mpg on the intersates, but in the city, you will be lucky if you get 20mpg. like you, I also have a big SUV, a landcruiser, this morining, I filled her up which cost $75, that is with tank 1/4 full before filling, so yes, the E320 wagon is a good car for MPGs in comparsion. The price you paid for it is also very good, enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
PS, I think the W/S button is for winter or sport driving?? can anyone confirm this?
and also I'm getting 19-21 MPG I know for a fact that my car has big time issues, like check engine light comes on every so often.
Correct on W/S. Your low mileage is very likely due to the check engine light. And the repair bills you will get if you don't get it fixed very quickly, will really hurt!! :eek: You are probably destroying the catalytic converters with the overly rich fuel mixture, and the agents will charge you about $1,600 a converter. SO get those error codes immediately and see to the problem. With the current price of gas, you'll recoup any money spent on fixing it in no time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

I feel fortunate to have groups like this around. I hate being at the mercy of mechanics and not know what I'm talking about. I'm more than willing to attempt lots of repairs myself, but need the hand holding that groups like this provide. Especially the stickies of the common repairs.

I'll confess that while poking around under the hood, and before I read the transmission info, I pulled on the red plastic cap thingy and broke off the red plastic part. I suppose I'll go and get one from the dealer. I was thinking I would check the color of the tranny fluid to see if I wanted to undertake the tranny fluid change.

I'll also confess that in all the cars I've owned, I've never changed the tranny fluid. I don't know that I've suffered any problems either. Maybe I'm just lucky -- so far.

Regards,

Boris

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

I feel fortunate to have groups like this around. I hate being at the mercy of mechanics and not know what I'm talking about. I'm more than willing to attempt lots of repairs myself, but need the hand holding that groups like this provide. Especially the stickies of the common repairs.

I'll confess that while poking around under the hood, and before I read the transmission info, I pulled on the red plastic cap thingy and broke off the red plastic part. I suppose I'll go and get one from the dealer. I was thinking I would check the color of the tranny fluid to see if I wanted to undertake the tranny fluid change.

I'll also confess that in all the cars I've owned, I've never changed the tranny fluid. I don't know that I've suffered any problems either. Maybe I'm just lucky -- so far.

Regards,

Boris
Hi, Doc. Most folks on the forum -- myself included -- will encourage you to change the fluid and filter. Depending on the date of manufacture you may have a drain plug on the converter, if not the Yumling DIY (in the sticky) for using the trans pump to flush the fluid is great...but you do want to be sure to drop the pan and clean it out while also replacing the filter. MB fluid only for the 722.6xx transmission is indicated. The little disposable cap is cheap enough (thankfully!).

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,488 Posts
No need to buy new locking tab for transmission cap. Push the remining piece down and catch it for reuse. Get new tab when you'll be ready to sell.
Welcome to the forum towariszcz.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts