Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just came after I replaced the fuel pumps, i took it to my mechanic and checked all the fuel lines and everything is ok. I took it to the other shop and they've also checked everything and told me they can't find anything wrong & told me to fix the mufflers coz it has holes in it that they thought maybe that causes the leak of gasoline odor w/c I took care by replacing the exhaust thing. And they just told me to just bring the car back again if the odor came back w/c came. I feel dizzy everytime I stepped out of the car from the gasoline smell inside... help me out here what's causing this problem. Thanks guys in advance!

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
Get the car up on stands, remove the fuel pump shield and start the car. Look to see where the fuel leak is. Also, check the fuel lines at the fuel distributor to see if the leak it there.

Good luck and keep the windows down.

Jayare

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it back to the shop again after some thorough inspection tand hey did'nt see where's the problem source. They've checked the fuel pump shield and the fuel lines from the distributor, they've even checked the air vents and the flooring of the car but still my problem has no solution yet. The owner asked me if what octane I'm using & I told him I use the 95 rating and suggested to me to use the higher rating. I don't if that's relevant to my cars problem right now. Anymore suggestion, please? Thanks!

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
I agree that octane is not the source of the interior smell.

Now, that said, I have a similar problem with my Bornite 500E. I have tracked ALL the usual suspects to no avail. And the problem is very intermittent. Best solution so far has been to just not "100% fill the tank", which is really no solution. That car is going in for a 3 month teardown soon. Hopefully the problem will sort from that.

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
One other suggestion. Take off the forward and right side trim pieces inside the trunk. This will expose the gas tank and the filler neck hose, vent hose and other associated bits. As McBear mentions in his post, a similar problem with his 500E presents itself with the "tank 100% full". With a good light source, you will be able to inspect the hoses/clamps for problems.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is always on the 3/4 to 1/4 level only. All the hoses and fuel lines have been well inspected already. The car is still on the shop and I'm planning to have another inspection by other MB shops. I don't want to bring the car back unless this issues are solved coz the gasoline smell makes me realy sick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure if you got this fixed yet but my car's exhaust REEKED like gasoline until I changed the Oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Try checking the EHA, mine was leaking and was fixed with simple O-ring replacement. Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try checking the EHA, mine was leaking and was fixed with simple O-ring replacement. Good luck
I agree, check this little baby out, while you’re at it.

My car has an intermittent leak in the EHA relay. When I say intermittent I mean once a week or so gas will start gushing out of the relay. I’ll try the o rings before I replace.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just to make sure: Did you check the fuel level sensor in the tank?

Its accessible by removing the center trim on the luggage compartment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EHA is good, will check the oxygen sensor and fuel level sensor. My mechanic recently did the vaccum near the intake and told me to monitor if the smell will still come back, then told me he'll check the the thing that blocks the vent, don't know what exactly it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts