Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 260E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I just bought a 1987 260E. It's pretty solid overall, but I do have a few issues & questions. As in the topic, it starts poorly when up to running temperature. It takes a few seconds to catch, and then dies instantly. I get it going by applying a bit of throttle as it catches, but it's a bit hit or miss. When cold, it start pretty good, although the idle is a bit high/erratic. The hot idle is OK. Also, when I pull it into the garage, it sets of my CO detector in short order. The exhaust does smell a bit rich, but not smokey by any means. I've got new plugs in it, new air filter, and the rotor/cap looks pretty good, but I don't have any service history on it. The motor cleaned up pretty well, and all the vacuum lines appear to be entact. Any thoughts or advice is quite appreciated. Thanks, in advance, with surely more to follow.

Stych

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
Please fill out your profile. It provides us all with a better understanding of your car, your location, last tune up, mileage etc. etc. The more information you provide, the easier it is to help you with your problem.

Use the search feature of this forum and look for threads on "air/fuel" adjustment. You'll find plenty to read. Most likely, your car needs a few adjustments.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,507 Posts
If you just bought the car as you say, then you have inherited the previous owners woeful maintenance habits. I suggest you give it an oil change and a thorough maintenance tuneup; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel and air filters. This will give you a baseline from which to operate. Also you can inspect the items as you remove them to see if you have any lingering issues that have yet to manifest themselves.

Welcome to the fold. Use the search function.

·
Registered
1987 260E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Used the search function, not much on the hard starting, save for perhaps the OVP relay, or fuel accumulator, which seem like good places to start. I did change the plugs, & air filter. The wires look & test OK, & the cap and rotor look fine too. The problems are not consistant with wire/rotor/cap issues. Nor is the oil, which, yes, I changed. I washed the car too.

Stych

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
Search for "air/fuel ratio adjustment" You'll find plenty to read.

Jayare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts