Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats your prefered method to get a source of 12v on a 24v truck? my truck had a mounting position, and v-belt pully for a aux 12v alternator that the previous owner started to,install. it just seems like the long way around to get 12v. anyone using converters?
kris

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
i have a converter laying around, which i will use for a tachometer and so on ...

i bought it on eBay (well, not really, but a swedish verison of eBay) for like 20 bucks, used, but works perfect ... theres no moving parts, so what can break?

i think your adding a lot of stuff that can fail, if your putting in another alternator ...

·
Registered
404.s x VW-Lt
189 Posts
I will install a second 12V alternator. I dont like a converter. If you have a lot of 12V accesories you need a very big converter. I will trying to install a 12V alternator with an vacuum pump attached so i can use that for brakeassist instead of intake manifold vacuum.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
I have been planning to run a battery balancer and draw power from one battery for 12V. This has the advantages of using the battery as a buffer for amperage spikes (bad for a converter), and will also keep the batteries' charges balanced.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
If power is drawn from only one battery it's charge will differ from the other. The alternator will charge the battery bank based on the combined or average voltage. In the long run this will cause the untapped battery to be overcharged, boil, and fail, while the other never gets fully charged. Constantly rotating the batteries can overcome this (they should be swapped once a year normally) I think but It isn't a real good plan.

·
Registered
1967 404 Unimog (Belgian), 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
253 Posts
Here's an option. I bought a SDC23 DC/DC converter from Samlex (not received it yet). They sell refurb units at a significant discount. The SDC23 can handle 20 amps continuous, so it should be plenty for most onboard electronics.

One of the listed applications is vehicle power conversion, so it sounds promising anyway.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/refurbished.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts