Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new here and have been researching this and have not come up with a straightforward answer. i have come across a 78 240 sl diesel and i was wondering if the 300td was a straightup swap. if not please tell me what would be involved. i searched this so if you know a link or something that would be great also. thanks for your time.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,640 Posts
First of all, there is no such thing as a "78 240 sl diesel". Also, what do you mean be "a straightup swap"? Are you trading one car for another? I don't get it...

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
hmm, i didnt understand that post either. are you asking if you could swap an engine out of a 300td into a 240TD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, thats what i meant. sorry for confusion. what would be required to swap the 300td engine in the 240d. someone is giving me this car, so im looking to have fun. i have total mechanical ability, so thats not a factor at all. im just trying to research this. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dude, its a flippin 240d. the guy who has it said something about sl so i put it on here. im asking a question, anyone have an answer. i just want to know what all would be involved to swap the engine from a 300td into a 240d. if thats not clear i dont know what is. thanks.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
It is possible if you're swapping the entire engine. Are you including the transmission as well?

The motor mounts might need changing though, do it while you're at it. Include the engine shocks too if they're going. If your original 240D has original shocks, I heard somewhere that these are stiffer (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe that would change the car's handling a bit. The radiator also needs changing as well as the oil cooler bec the 300D has larger ones. Is the 300D a turbo model?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
turbosxt - 2/8/2005 6:16 PM

dude, its a flippin 240d. the guy who has it said something about sl so i put it on here. im asking a question, anyone have an answer. i just want to know what all would be involved to swap the engine from a 300td into a 240d. if thats not clear i dont know what is. thanks.
you can do that but it would involve being nice and polite to it...
otherwise it will bite you[:)]

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Ok, there's something unique about the engine from a 300TD, not sure, I think it has something to do with a hydropneumatic suspension or something. You'd have to replace something on the 300TD motor with something from a sedan version of the engine, not sure though.
-Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry if i sounded like a dick but im trying to learn about these cars without the criticism. thanks to those who replied. reason for wanting a swap is im looking for a little more horsepower than the 60 or whatever the 240 has. the car has an auto trans in it, could that be used on the 300 engine? sorry for the questions but ive searched all this and just cant seem to find a straight answer. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts