Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 82 240D with 330,000 miles. It starts & runs, but misses on #1 cylinder. I took the head off to find what I think is a blown head gasket. The other cylinders were strong. I am taking the head to a machine shop tomorow. Has anyone else had similar problems?

·
Registered
502 Posts
If it is a blown head gasket, you should check both the head and block to make sure neither is warped or uneven. If it is more than a certain amount (a machine shop would know the exact number), the surface would need to be milled or the gasket will blow again. With that many miles, you could also have broken or worn piston rings, and worn pistons and cylinders. Blowby is a common symptom of excessive engine wear. Check for grooves in the cylinders, which could indicate overheating at one time or broken rings. Check the pistons to see how much that can be moved back and forth in the cylinder. New clearance is 0.0015", though the engine can run with much more. Lots of clearance can also create blowby.

On another thought, a bad prechamber (where the fuel is injected into) can cause missing in only one cylinder. There is a ball suspended in the prechamber, which if it comes loose, will cause missing. A bad injector could also cause missing.

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
A blown headgasket is a blown headgasket.

Possible causes are age, overheating, poor coolant quality, improper injection, incorrect head torquing, warped head, cracked head, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts