Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1982 240D with somewhere between 145 and 175K on it.....The odometer is broken, so it's really an unknown... The car has 4 different tire on it and two different sizes. 2 175sr14s and 2 175/70/14 tires....Can someone tell me the proper tire and if the 175r14 is the correct one, does anyone keep them on a rack today, I am haiving a hard time finding that size..I can find all the 175/70/14s I want though, is this an accepatable sub?<br>
<br>
Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forget about the 175 14's. I have driven over 700,000 miles in 123 series cars. Use the best 195/75R15 you can get. I have run mostly Michelins. They are round, smooth and will last a long, long time on these cars. My 240D has over 500,000 miles and the best of them have been with these tires.<br> <br> Good luck,

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost forgot one of the most important things about putting new tires on these cars. Regardless of the size and brand of tire you use, make SURE that the balancer operator sets up the machine to put weights on the inside AND outside of the wheel. If you have alloy wheels, they usually only put weights on the inside of the wheel because they say that the weights will look bad on the outside of the wheel.<br> <br> These cars MUST have the weights on both sides of wheel. There is something about the 123 front suspension that makes this absolutely IMPERATIVE. I have had arguments with the kids in the tire stores over this, but I know from experience that you will have drivability AND tire wear problems if you let them have their way. It's your car and your money, you deserve to have the wheels balanced the way you tell them to.<br> <br> Good luck,<br> Larry

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disagree with Larry about the tire size. Going from 175/70 to 195/75 is a bad idea. The rim width is too narrow for a 'plus 2' tire size, and with an increased aspect ratio on top of that! Use a top-quality tire in the stock size - or as close to the stock size as you can find. Putting a bigger tire on is not 'better'. You will find that the steering input is less precise due to the bigger tire 'swimming' on a small rim. If you must have bigger tires, you need bigger (wider) wheels too! I think the W124 wheels will bolt on, I've seen other people do this. Don't forget to compensate for speedometer error, a larger diameter tire will make the speedo (and odo) read lower than actual.<br> <br> I do agree with Larry completely on the balancing issue. Get the dynamic balance (weights on both sides) even if it means arguing with the kid operating the machine. If you don't, you'll be unhappy with the vibration that results from the static (single-weight) balance.<br> <br> <br> HTH,<br> <br> Dave M. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been driving a 240 D for seven years.<br> My family has been driving them for 20+.<br> I use only 195-70-14's in a high quality all<br> season radial like michelins. The handling <br> difference between the 175's and 195's is amazing. <br> You feel like you are driving an entirely different car. They make it hold the road like glue!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.