Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking t a 240d that just wouldn't start one day after being driven. I am a farmer so I am familar with diesel engines.........but not Mercedes......Can someone give me advice on where to look at things that could be wrong.........

glow plugs?
relay>?

fuel filter.?
batter I know is low......plan on taking the F250 diesel truck to jump it with and my big cables.......if they are big enough for a 125 hp tractor they should give me amperage to turn it....

I just need someone to point me in the right direction so I can diagnois this and maybe pick me up a Mercedes 4 door.

Thanks in advance.........I am going in the morning to look at this........
Scott

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There are a few things to look for, one of them being that the battery is in good condition and has sufficient charge.

Next, you need to have enough glow plugs in good shape to get the car running... I'd say at least two, in warm weather. Also check the strip fuse in the GP relay, which is forward of the fuse box proper, and under a little plastic box cover... it takes and 80 amp strip fuse that you'll probably only find at a local dealer at least I wasn't able to find one anywhere else up here. If that's your problem, and you're good with electricity, maybe you could jerry rig it somehow...

Also, that fuel needs to be able to flow, so maybe filters are your problem... if the car has been sitting for periods of time, or had a bad fill up, the lines/filters could be clogged.

I'm also assuming that the alternator and the starter were in decent shape...

How was it running the other day when it was running, and what is the ambient temp out there? If it's cold out, and there is no antigel in that fuel, well... you know.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I agree, check the resistance of the glow plugs to see if they're good, on the relay as to loss mentioned.
You may want to rig up a temporary fuel tank to check on that situation.
You know your way around diesels, good.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
and don't using starting fluid. WD40 maybe if needed.

Len

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
You stick key in turn to pos 2, glowplug light comes on and goes off and then start and then what? click? nothing? auto or manual?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts