Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
240D Update. Fuel Level Sender Unit Question

Well I finally got around to working on the car since my final exams are over.

I replaced the shifter bushings and the speedometer cable and now the car goes into park and I know how fast I am going. :)

I tried to replace the transmission mount but never got it done.
I was told that the reason the car shakes in reverse is because of the transmission mount. I'm going to let the auto shop take care of the mount when I find another reason to take it in.

Looking under the car, it appears that someone took took it offroad like a 4x4, ran over a few logs and then let it sit in some water.

The brake lines under the drivers side are a little bent but not kinked, the floor boards have definitely hit something and when I removed the bracket to get to the mount the entire things was caked with mud and sand.

I do have two questions for you guys:
1) Is there a way to clean/repair the fuel level sending unit without having to pop down $200 on a new one?

2)The car shakes pretty violently when I start it up but smooths out while driving. I am assuming it's the engine mounts. Does this sound correct?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
1. yes, remove it and clean all the wires off with brake cleaner or something.

2. Thats probably the cause.

·
Registered
1981 240D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the sending unit out and removed the inner tube but the three wires are not connected to anything except the top of the unit. Does anyone have a diagram or explanation of where to attach the three wire (on the float, on the base, etc)

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
The 3 wires should be attached to the base of the unit. Try to resolder them.

·
Registered
1981 240D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, looks like the copper wire goes to the bent arm on the base and the identical wires go to the tabs on the bottom.

If I am looking at it properly, the two identical wires simply short when the floater reaches the bottom.

I will round up some wire and fire up the iron...

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Yes, just pull the loose wires straight down to the bottom and thats were they connect.

·
Registered
1981 240D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I made a slight bend in the copper connector on the bottom and reattached the copper wire to it.

I added extensions to the two silver colored wires but ran into a problem on the bottom connector.

Each wire runs into a small channel on each side. My problem is in securing them there. I can either solder them or simply wrap them around the plastic channels.

It looks like i simply wrap them around the plastic to secure them because I cam see no solder points. On the copper wire there is an obvious point to connect it to and it has old solder on it. I can find no original solder for the two silver colored wires.

Am I missing something or do I just wrap the silver wires around the plastic post or do they somehow connect to the small contacts on either side of the channel?:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts