Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's i got a 240D bought it last month and i am looking to improve him, speacialy performance wise, egg: acelaration handling etc etc, and visual wise asswel I am at the moment looking for ideas on how to improve him and where to get the parts. The car is in portugal that's in europe just so that you guy's know!
;) thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a link to a recent discussion on shocks/springs and where to buy them.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td-te-class/1362282-cheap-place-buy-bilstien-hd-koni-adjustables.html?highlight=koni+shocks

My guess would be you'd want Bilstein comforts on a 240 due to the lighter weight, but I'm going with HDs on my 300D. Depending on mileage you may want to replace your springs also, mine sag a bit at 235k. Do a search for w123 springs. I'm also searching for a wagon from which to pirate a larger rear sway-bar. Another thought is 15" wheels and lower profile tires.

As far as acceleration goes, aside from maintenance items like air and fuel filters, make sure your valves/timing are adjusted properly. Also, if you've got an auto trans, that's costing you 10-20% of what little power you started with and should probably go. Bottom line, it won't ever be a fast car and you'll probably be disappointed if you put money into the motor. It should, however, handle very well if the suspension is in good working order.

DISCLAIMER: I've never driven or tuned a 240D, I'm just passing on what I've read.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really! because i was really looking forwad to improving the dam BHP! nothing can be done?!

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Sell it and buy a 300D. You'll end up sinking lots of money into the 240 engine and get minimal gains. At most you'll get 72hp without a turbo. With a turbo you'll significantly cut the engines life and still make less power than a non-turbo 300d and nowhere near the power of a turbo 300D.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
selling is not a option! this car has been in my family since 82-83 and belonged to my grandfather who unfortunatly died last summer! seeing that i was raissed with them i couldn't let the car go. So think people. this is a stock engine on the 81 module with a standard of 72 brake horse power. car is going to be all refix and take what ever it needs to take i will put a new mufling system preferably AMG and a sports air induction filter, so how much do you guy's reckon that will add? 40bhp making it 112?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the mufling system and a diferent system for air flow wouldn't change anything? that is at least odd! any one tried this before and failled miserably? changing the engine is not a option, plus it was resently refurbished so evrything that neded fixing or wasn't okay with is got fixed, plus it wouldn't be the same car jus the body with a diferent engine! camon i whant to make the old dog fell young again!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am not the type to be happy with what i have got! how about superchargers, turbo chargers, fuel injections, fuel pumps etc etc any chance any of them might work?!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will it stress the engine that much? and why such a small amount of power? and why doesn't the air filter and the exaust and mufler system have such a minimum effect to?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
will it stress the engine that much? and why such a small amount of power?
Yes, your engine is not made to handle the additional thermal and physical stress. The turbo engines had such things as oil squirters under the pistons for cooling, high flow oil pump, nitrided crankshaft for strength, sodium filled exhaust valves to prevent cracking, different cam lobe profiles and larger cooling system.

and why doesn't the air filter and the exaust and mufler system have such a minimum effect to?
I already said, the engine is 100% mechanical. Power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, not airflow. The stock air filter and exhaust are not restrictive, replacing them will actually reduce efficiency, especially on the non-turbo engine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how about changing the fuel management system? you said they mecanical and fuel injection controled, so changing that could improve performance?
and what did you mean byreducing efficency? could you elaborate on that please?!

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
how about changing the fuel management system? you said they mechanical and fuel injection controlled, so changing that could improve performance?
Not without additional airflow. Increasing fuel without extra air will only melt the engine and reduce fuel economy.

and what did you mean by reducing efficiency? could you elaborate on that please?!
Lower fuel economy and lower power.

The stock air filter is a true cold air intake and is not restrictive. Most "performance" air filters are simply a crappy K&N filter on the end of a tube. It takes in hot air from the engine bay. Hot air is thinner which reduces available air to burn the fuel, burns hotter and puts more heat into the cooling system instead of turning into work.

The stock exhaust is also not restrictive. Changing it will reduce torque (power), hurt exhaust valve cooling and just make more noise instead of power.

Both only make you THINK you have more power because everything is louder.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not without additional airflow. Increasing fuel without extra air will only melt the engine and reduce fuel economy.

so how can i improve this section then? also i read in another forum that there is a old tale that 240's have a flow restricting valve on the intake which can be removed for a noticable power increase. could this be real?:D how about stability wise? shocks can i improve that? also i am thinking of getting an amg 17 inches alloy's does the suspension need adjusting because of that?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really man, go for the engine swap. The OM617A is essentially the same motor with an extra cylinder and a turbocharger and has SOME potential for tuning. It won't really be a different car, just a faster one.

As far as going from 14" to 17" wheels, I STRONGLY suggest you ride in a car that has had a similar change in rolling gear before you decide that's what you want to do to your Benz. Assuming you can get the wheels to fit under the car(not a safe assumption at all), you will destroy the ride quality, probably destroy some suspension components that weren't designed for giant wheels, and, if the overall diameter winds up being bigger than what you started with, you will make the car accelerate SLOWER by effectively making the final drive ratio taller.

My opinion: If you really want to throw money at a slow car, get something relatively modern (VWs and Nissans often do quite well with amateur turbo jobs) and don't rice out a quarter-century old 4-cylinder diesel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really man, go for the engine swap. The OM617A is essentially the same motor with an extra cylinder and a turbocharger and has SOME potential for tuning. It won't really be a different car, just a faster one.

As far as going from 14" to 17" wheels, I STRONGLY suggest you ride in a car that has had a similar change in rolling gear before you decide that's what you want to do to your Benz. Assuming you can get the wheels to fit under the car(not a safe assumption at all), you will destroy the ride quality, probably destroy some suspension components that weren't designed for giant wheels, and, if the overall diameter winds up being bigger than what you started with, you will make the car accelerate SLOWER by effectively making the final drive ratio taller.

My opinion: If you really want to throw money at a slow car, get something relatively modern (VWs and Nissans often do quite well with amateur turbo jobs) and don't rice out a quarter-century old 4-cylinder diesel.
Okay the mid 90's AMG's are the same fit has my benz so they can fit. Obiasly the suspension will be adjusted when the alloy's get changed. I seriously doubt that a change in weels will destroy my ride quality, or the suspension, or for the effect make the accelaration slower, seeing that this is just a change in alloy's not the adiction of 500kg. just like in the pictures there are loads of other w123's that have diferent size tires to their factory ones so i think your argument is a bit unfunded. has to engine change i rather let this one live in the car until it dies and then get a prooper diferent engine. Some things are not coming out unless they have to. Has to alloy's i know that the BB's RS fit perfectly in w123 with out spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bigdj- adding larger wheels not designed for the car will without a doubt affect suspension, acceleration (look up gear ratios) and ride quality. Your speedometer will also need recalibration as it wont be telling you the truth with those bigger than factory rims!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts