Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '83 240D over heats in stop and go traffic. So i figured the fan clutch was bad, since the fan was pretty hard to turn. As i was reading around i discovered that the 240d has no fan clutch.

I know that the water pump is working. So is there maybe another part that's causing the over heating?

-The thermostat works
-I'm about to replace the coolant

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i thought about that. I wanted to fix the problem rather than substitute new equipment. Plus i dont have the money for a CFM fan.

I'm worried about drilling holes in my thermo as i have my car set up to use wvo. So i would need the engine temp to remain above 80C.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Check your aux. fans, do a citrus flush, new thermostat, and coolant. You might want to check your thermostat before replacing it by boiling it in a pot of water if money is a concern but since this part doesn't cost much< i would buy a new one but also check it before using it. You can try a lower temp stat.

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
If you have to mutilate the thermostat for the engine to stay cool, you have other isues that need to be fixed. Replacing the engine fan with electrics will cool worse.

Go to a car wash and blow out the radiator from both sides.
Make sure the A/C isn't stuck on.
Look for signs of leak stopper being used.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel. White on perfect blue Tex. Origional everything.
128 Posts
ya my auto overheats whilst the ac is running. I drove with no ac and it does ok, but i live in phoenix, so i need the ac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts