Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D manual transmission
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 240D with 235K on it. The car runs very well with good power and fuel consumption. Lately there has been a 'pinging' noise while driving. It sounds like a gas engine with timing that is too far adavanced although not as loud. The pinging does not get worse when the engine is under load, but will be apparent during steady a cruise. I have owned the car for about two years and I have no service history for it other than the general maintenance that I have done. Does any one have any ideas as to what this noise could be?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Could be a faulty/dirty injector. If if doesn't close properly, it can cause a diesel knocking sound. If you don't know the history, you might want to have them checked/renewed.

Timing of the IP might be off and/or the timing chain might be stretched. Those things can be checked too.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
This is also what's called "nailing." You can do a search, but Govert pretty much covered it. Also may want to do a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
1990 W124 230E
67 Posts
Could be a faulty/dirty injector. If if doesn't close properly, it can cause a diesel knocking sound. If you don't know the history, you might want to have them checked/renewed.

Timing of the IP might be off and/or the timing chain might be stretched. Those things can be checked too.
+1 had the same issue; service of the injectors and the adjusting of the timing chain rectified the problem in my 300D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts