Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 240 D . the front piston rod broke off of the piston and made a small hole in oil pan. The piston head seems to be stuck at the bottom of the cylinder. Is it posible to run as a 3 cylender ? If not what engines will interchange and bolt to my automatic transmission ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The shop i took it too said it would cost more then the whole car is worth to rebuild this engine. And i been reading that there are very slow and sluggish. I thought about putting a 318 dodge engine and trans in it but it may take a lot of work to do this.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,201 Posts
What's your car worth?
Even if you find rebuild engine, it will cost min couple thousands and from my memory we are talking 60 HP engine?
Putting Dodge or any other engine will still cost, but people do strange things to those cars and enjoy them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah . i have a complete running 318 engine and auto trans . and i may be getting a jeep straigh 6 enigine soon . i was wondering if there is other engines that would bolt up to the transmission thats already in the car. I am a welder and fabricator so its not a big deal for me. Ive just having a slow start on it due to resent health problems

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
If you go with a non-Mercedes transmission you'll have to either have your driveshaft modded or a new one built to fit the transmission end. Most American transmissions use a slip yoke and u-joint at the end of the trans vice MB's method of a rubber disk at the trans and the slip joint with a universal in a two-piece driveshaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts