Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across a 1979 240D in exelent condition, although it has 288,000 miles on it. I know this in not nesasarily a problem if the car has been well maintaind but I was curious about what to look, listen, and check for on the test drive to prevent myself from buying a money pit. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Engine Compression

High compression is a must for a diesel engine. If possible have a compression test done. Drive the car and pay attention to the transmission especially if it is an automatic. They start to go at about this mileage. Replacement is $1,500 for an automatic. This car is built like a tank, but rust can be a problem. Check under the floormats, front and back. Also check under the trunk mat for rust. When was the last oil change? Look at the records. Many times a seller will mask a low compression engine by adding extra heavy weight oil to make it appear to be running at top rpm. Good luck!
[:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
look in the boot, sometimes under the floor it gets wet from rain and stuf like that,
als...

look in the boot, sometimes under the floor it gets wet from rain and stuf like that,
also do the regular check ups like rust(very evil with these cars), exhaust and so on.

btw:
the 240D is one of the best choices of engines you can look for. ok, it's slow, but you can't EVER break it! don't forget that these engines (also the 200D and the 300D) were originally truck powerplants, so they were designed to haul a lot of weight and under a lot of stress, and thus the 'light' W123 is nothing compared to those trucks!

greets, Matteus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.