Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum and still have not found the answer. What is the average shift points of an 83 240D 4 speed automatic? Under normal driving mine shifts out of 1st @ about 1 – 3 mph, 2nd to 3rd about 15 mph & 3rd to 4th immediately after 2nd to 3rd. When starting off if you give it about ½ to ¾ throttle it raises the shift points. Or you can at the time of the shift increase the throttle to delay the next shift. The kick down is working and there is vacuum to the transmission. How does the vacuum bleed on the fuel linkage work. Under full acceleration it shifts @ full rpm. I am still working on the vacuum system (locks etc.) & trying to get the throttle linkage adjusted. I am wondering if this was normal a normal shift pattern for a 240D. Or where would be the best place to find how to adjust the trans. shifts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've had transmissions shift at the correct times without any vacuum at all. I've also had similar problems to yours on other transmissions. Adjusting the bowden cable helped, but didn't completely cure it. So I'm not quite sure what the cause is, maybe the cable gets stretched or something (haven't tried replacing it).

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Here are the shift points in km/h (in the red line).

Leergas is the accelerator pedal slightly pressed
Vollgas is fully pressed
Übergas is kickdown

The vacuum bleed or Vacuum Control Valve works together with the switchover valve on the valve cover. At idle the vacuum is at -0.7 bar (20 inHg), at slight pressure of the accelerator pedal the switchover valve is actuated and the vacuum drops to -0.4 bar (12 inHg), the more you press the accelerator pedal, the more the vacuum is reduced. At full load there is no more vacuum.

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the v/cover valve & the shift points. That will give me somewere to start. I need to get the vacuum lines sorted out also....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts