Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent hours looking for this piece.

The 3 fat MBZ manuals I have just show it in the wiring diagram.
It's called "Plug Connection. Tail lamp cable harness. " It appears
to have about 15 different wire connections- including the stop lights
and direction signals.

I searched the trunk, pulled up the back seat, looked under the two front seats and in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
The plug that plugs into the back of the instrument panel has about 15 different terminals, is that what your talking about?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question 240D, 300D etc - Tail lamp cable harness?

Thanks for the reply. No, it's totally different. It is a strip where cables from many directions connect to one another. The connector to the instrument cluster is just a simple plug.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I don't think there is one of those on a W123. There are a few small ones but they have nothing to do with tail lights.

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
It starts out connected under the dash, driver side on the left. It runs along the driver side inside the flat plastic cover along the floor. It will be the largest of the sheathed wire sets. it runs back to the trunk, connecting to ground at various locations, then branches off to the tail lights, first the left, then runs through a plastic tube to the one on the right. If you locate the plugs on the tail lights you have found the end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

First, the car is 1983 123.123 240D. The manuals were published in 1982 and the diagram is for the 1980 123.123. Does anyone know where I might find a 1983 wiring diagram? I'd sure like to have one. It's much more comforting when you have the real thing; you can eliminate some guesswork.

The problem is that the brake lights and the turn signals are dead. Fuses 8 through 14 do not become live after switching the ignition key to 1. Maybe they should always be live? Fuse 12 feeds the stop light and the turn signals. I checked the red connections from the battery to the light switch and from there to the ignition switch. I replaced the original ignition switch 126 462 0093 with another one 202 545 01 04 and the 7 pins are exactly the same on each.

It does seem that the tail lamp cable harness has been replaced by the 2 sets of 6 plugs at the tail lights, as MBZ300CD suggested.

Suggestions for troubleshooting this situation would be appreciated. Maybe I should start at the rear two plug sets, check what's dead and not, and work from there forward?

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
... Does anyone know where I might find a 1983 wiring diagram?
PM me your email address and I'll send you the pdf wiring diagram.

It does seem that the tail lamp cable harness has been replaced by the 2 sets of 6 plugs at the tail lights, as MBZ300CD suggested.
The original harness has 2 sets of 6 plugs, one at each tail light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts