Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a Mercedes 230T 1979' and the rear hydralic suspension won't lift the car when i start the engine.
some question:

what could be the reason for it?
and what's the first stages i have to do in order to solve the problem?

thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
First is to check the Hydraulic fluid reserve container. It should have a rubber nob on the top- lift that and it's attached to a dip stick. If there is nothing in the container then the first step is to put the proper fluid in at the correct level. Google "sls fluid mercedes"- you'll find it. If there is fluid then the next thing to check is that the level indicating lever on the rear control valve is connected. I have no picture, but inbetween the rear wheels is a 2" x 2" box with a arm sticking out of it and two hard lines going into it. That is the lever/valve which tells the system to go up or down. If the lever is not connected then your wagon back end will never do anything. You can use a zip tie to connect it until you get the system working as designed. If you work underneath the rear of the car have safety jack stands holding up the rear of the car AT ALL TIMES. The rear end can come slamming down on your head or body resulting in death while adjusting a SLS system. If the lever is connected then the next thing is the SLS "Spheres" aka "accumulators". They are black spheres close to and above the rear wheels. The can go bad, and when they do the system no longer works as designed. New ones cost about $110 in the USA. Check the rest of the system before replacing these, but they do go bad often enough that this is a primary cause of the SLS not working. There is no visual or otherwise testing of the spheres- they must be removed to see if they are non operational.
After checking these things report back and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First is to check the Hydraulic fluid reserve container. It should have a rubber nob on the top- lift that and it's attached to a dip stick. If there is nothing in the container then the first step is to put the proper fluid in at the correct level. Google "sls fluid mercedes"- you'll find it. If there is fluid then the next thing to check is that the level indicating lever on the rear control valve is connected. I have no picture, but inbetween the rear wheels is a 2" x 2" box with a arm sticking out of it and two hard lines going into it. That is the lever/valve which tells the system to go up or down. If the lever is not connected then your wagon back end will never do anything. You can use a zip tie to connect it until you get the system working as designed. If you work underneath the rear of the car have safety jack stands holding up the rear of the car AT ALL TIMES. The rear end can come slamming down on your head or body resulting in death while adjusting a SLS system. If the lever is connected then the next thing is the SLS "Spheres" aka "accumulators". They are black spheres close to and above the rear wheels. The can go bad, and when they do the system no longer works as designed. New ones cost about $110 in the USA. Check the rest of the system before replacing these, but they do go bad often enough that this is a primary cause of the SLS not working. There is no visual or otherwise testing of the spheres- they must be removed to see if they are non operational.
After checking these things report back and we'll go from there.
Thank you for your Quick Answer,
I will do all the tests that you recommended.
Is the link attached is the right part?

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~lindgrea/DIY/SLS/w123_sls_valve_seal_inst.pdf

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts