Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1963 230SL. In hot weather (over 90 degrees) after the car is driven about 20 minutes, the engine will stall out after deceleration (for example, after coming to the bottom of a highway off-ramp. Engine RPMs drop very low, and I must feather the accelerator. Will even out after a few blocks of driving but still RPMs are very low. Otherwise, the car will run well. There is no air conditioning or unusual load on the engine. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi richard,<br> <br> the 'stalling problem' described is most probably related to unproper operation of the fuel supply system. As it occurs only during high environmental temperatures I suppose that the fuel pressure supplied to the mechanical injection pump by the electrical fuel pump - situated in the rear body section close to the fuel tank - is not sufficient. For further details and help you may contact me<br> <br> klaus winkler<br> schlesierstrasse 14<br> 68642 buerstadt<br> germany<br> 0049(0)6245/995505

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: 230SL stalling in hot weather

Thank you Klaus for the reply. It is unclear to me how the high temperature affects the fuel pressure supplied? I had suspected some sort of vacuum leak that became more pronounced at high temperatures. Also, I seem to notice a slight decrease in the normally higher cold start idle speed as if the automatic choke is not operating as well as before. Could the fuel pump also account for this issue? Can I test the pressure of the electric fuel pump as a further diagnosis? Thank you for your expertise.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had exactly the same symptoms many years ago.<br> I live in UK and went to South of France for summer holiday. The car started doing exactly the same thing.<br> Local French mechanic diagnoised that it needed a heat sheild, ( Piece of Aluminium sheet ) to divert heat from exhaust manifold, that was vaporising fuel in pipe.<br> Made up something in about 20 minutes and problem solved.<br> I found out later that car shipped to normal climates are not fitted with factory shield but hot cuntry ones are.<br> <br> Mike Stone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts