Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a W123 right now and focusing on the 230's. However I'm wondering if there's any advantages of either regarding the 230 injected or carb. I realise the E has more power, but im interested in reliability and cost of servicing mainly.

all help much appreciated.

PS im in Australia. 230's appear to be the most common model sold here.

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Prefer 230E

I'd recommend a 230E. While the repair costs of a fuel injection system is a bit higher, the system tends to be more reliable, smooth and as you said has more power. The carbs MB used on their cars are very fiddly and very expensive to repair and get running right.

BTW, don't discount a 300D. They are the most reliable of the 123 models (along with the 240D). I never owned a diesel until I moved to Canada (would you believe from Melbourne!). Now I wouldn't go back to a petrol engined car.

Must go now before I get too homesick talking to you [:(]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Definately the 230E, the zenith carbs on the 230 are crap. They allways go out of tune and...

Definately the 230E, the zenith carbs on the 230 are crap. They allways go out of tune and they break often. Even when they are in good running order they don't idle and run very smooth. Even thought the cost of repairing a 230E may be more than the 230, a 230 is more likely to need repairs more often.

·
Registered
Toyota Celica
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and the 280E?

Ok thanks for the advice guys. Max it's good to hear your from Melbourne, where the petrol models certainly seem to dominate.

Today I looked at a 230E and also a 280E. I must admit that the bigger 6cyl does have an appeal, made clear when you pop the hood! A much bigger block. Can you or anyone shed some light on how the 280E compares to the 230E in terms of reliability, fuel and servicing?

thanks again.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
The 280E's are great cars too, but they are a good bit more to service than the 230 becaus...

The 280E's are great cars too, but they are a good bit more to service than the 230 because of the DOHC (dual over-head cam) and the relative complexity of the engine. If you do decide to get a 280E and you are on somewhat of a budget, the best thing to do is find a nice one thats all taken care of (at least mechanicaly) that way you won't get yourslef into debt trying to catch up on repairs. If the car was taken care of and maintained properly, however, you shouldn't see too many problems and or repairs. The 280E is quite a beast - amazing to think that the car had close to 185hp out of a 6 cylinder, back then! Oh, and your right - that engine is quite impressive looking! Anyways, good luck!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 280 SE
185 Posts
If you have any sense at all you will get the 280 E, it produces 185 hp and 240 nm the e...

If you have any sense at all you will get the 280 E, it produces 185 hp and 240 nm the engine is very reliable, very fast and when in good running order it purrs like a cat at idle [:D]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
I owned a 230CE for several years and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. It ...

I owned a 230CE for several years and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. It had well over 150,000 miles (75,000 by me) when I sold it and the engine wasd still excellent, bar a slight cam/tappet rattle on start-up. Other than tyres, exhaust and general servicing I only ever replaced the rear brake discs and a front wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
HeckFlosse,
Your 1973 230.6 LWB - that would be a 115 chassis, so is that a "7-8 Sitz...

HeckFlosse,
Your 1973 230.6 LWB - that would be a 115 chassis, so is that a "7-8 Sitze" (7-8 seater)? Do you have any pictures of the car? I am very interested in one and I want to find out more info about them. Getting info on them is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack, however. Thanks very much!

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: HeckFlosse, Your 1973 230.6 LWB - that would be a 115 chassis, so is that a

HeckFlosse,
Your 1973 230.6 LWB - that would be a 115 chassis, so is that a "7-8 Sitze" (7-8 seater)? Do you have any pictures of the car? I am very interested in one and I want to find out more info about them. Getting info on them is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack, however. Thanks very much!
Yes it's the W114 (6-cylinder 115 chassis) with a third row of forward facing occasional seats. The engines the M180 with twin Zenith carburettors which seem to nead balancing every other day[:(], but does give it 150lb of torque[:)].
The main weak point (on mine anyway) are the rear doors and quarter windows, these seem to be prone to rusting around the window frame and it's difficult to get replacements.
The car was also available with either the 220D or 240D engine and all had 15in wheels.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Thats awesome - thats exactly what I was talking about. I would preferably like a 240D, or...

Thats awesome - thats exactly what I was talking about. I would preferably like a 240D, or a 220D - The 220D's and 230's seem to be more common in the LWB than the 240D. Either way It's still quite hard to come by any of them in this country! If you wouldn't mind emailing me some pictures that would be great ([email protected])! Did you buy the car new or privately? Where do you get parts from? Thanks very much - sorry for all the questions!

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: Thats awesome - thats exactly what I was talking about. I would preferably like a 240D, or

Thats awesome - thats exactly what I was talking about. I would preferably like a 240D, or a 220D - The 220D's and 230's seem to be more common in the LWB than the 240D. Either way It's still quite hard to come by any of them in this country! If you wouldn't mind emailing me some pictures that would be great ([email protected])! Did you buy the car new or privately? Where do you get parts from? Thanks very much - sorry for all the questions!
I think you'll find only the 220D and 230/6 engines were fitted, but I’m not 100% on that. They are quite rare but when they do come up they're usually cheap as not many people want an old 18ft long car. I bought mine about eight years ago for £1500; it was really more of an impulse buy. It's not been as well cared for as my 220SEb or E220 (7 previous owners and no history what so ever) but the only trouble I've ever had is occasional rough idle due to the carbs and a front brake calliper which broke. Other than that it covers approx a care free 1,500 miles per year with nothing more than basic servicing, tyres, exhausts etc. As yet parts don't seem to be a problem. Service items are available over the counter at my local Mercedes dealer, the calliper I sourced from a breakers yard for £10 (still available new from dealer for £68) and the exhaust was a new £200 system meant for an estate with a bit of DIY modification. Considering its size it’s remarkably easy to drive and manuver and once going it will cruise all day at 80mph.

I'll try to find and e-mail some photos, but I'm having problems up loading files at present (see above).

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Very nice - I wouldn't mind either a 230 or 220. However I think they imported less than 1...

Very nice - I wouldn't mind either a 230 or 220. However I think they imported less than 1,500 to this country. That ok, I want a european version anyway, as the bumpers on the U.S. cars are rediculous. I think I'll have to take a trip over to Germany sometime and pick one up! Thanks very much for the info! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1985 300SD
3 Posts
[:0]I'm shocked! All this talk of LWB mercedes and a poor 250 limo went (i think) unsol...

[:0]I'm shocked! All this talk of LWB mercedes and a poor 250 limo went (i think) unsold on ebay.

I saved the ad, just so I could go baca and look at the pictures from time to time.

If you're interested (and the car is stil available), you could probably drop a line and pick it up

Happy motoring![8D]

RBM

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300SD
3 Posts
OOPS!

[:eek:)]all this talk, and I forgot to post the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6315&item=2400754291&rd=1

By the way, Mercedesmax, where in BC are you? I live just south of Osoyoos. I also have a 300D for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6330&item=2402552064&rd=1

RBM

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Wow, I'm drooling!! [:D] I don't have the money for that, but if I did - that car would be...

Wow, I'm drooling!! [:0] I don't have the money for that now, but if I did - that car would be in my garage right now!!! I do however still like the 114/115 chassis better, especially in the LWB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.