Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C123 "300CD" 1984
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I really like the W123 serie, especially the Coupe. Only problem that there is very few of them with Diesel here in Norway. Even on Mobile.de there's just one and importing a car to Norway is nothing but very very expensive.

So putting a OM617 turbo in a 230CE, bad idea? (Put in consideration that I am a Diesel head ;)

Have anyone done this, or know of any links where this is done?

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Wouldn't the importation of a 617 turbo be as equally expensive? Where would you get the engine? I could see doing it if you had a donor car where you could systematically replace everything you need from the diesel..... but you'd have to import the car? I know it's been done before and I've been told it's easier than switching from a diesel to gas, but difficult none the less.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
Karl-Wilhelm said:
Have anyone done this,
Mercedes-Benz did it from 1978 to 1985.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cyberbach said:
Wouldn't the importation of a 617 turbo be as equally expensive? Where would you get the engine? I could see doing it if you had a donor car where you could systematically replace everything you need from the diesel..... but you'd have to import the car? I know it's been done before and I've been told it's easier than switching from a diesel to gas, but difficult none the less.
To get hold of a 230CE in good condition isent that hard in Norway but they are rare, most w123 around here has a lot of rust.
The donor car would be a 300TDT, which is easy to find and pretty cheap, but you would have to do some work on the engine.

H-TownBenzoboy said:
Have anyone done this,

Mercedes-Benz did it from 1978 to 1985.
I know, but only you Americans got them. I don't understand why Mercedes did that, but I sure don't like it.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
Karl-Wilhelm said:
I know, but only you Americans got them. I don't understand why Mercedes did that, but I sure don't like it.
The reasoning was in order to sell their cars in the US, they had to meet some federal requirements. All the MB models sold had to meet a certain average MPG requirement. The gasoline models would bring the average down, so they sold a bunch of diesels, they eventually stopped importing the gas model W123s, and made money.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H-TownBenzoboy said:
The reasoning was in order to sell their cars in the US, they had to meet some federal requirements. All the MB models sold had to meet a certain average MPG requirement. The gasoline models would bring the average down, so they sold a bunch of diesels, they eventually stopped importing the gas model W123s, and made money.
That makes sence, thanks ;)

H-tytheguy said:
are you guys talking about putting a turbo on a 230ce or am i just plainly confused
Putting a 300D turbo in an 230CE. As in making it an 300CD Turbo ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts