Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -- this is my first post. I'm glad to be a member!

I've got a 75 230 sedan (W115). On occasion, usually when it's wet out (not unusual here in Seattle), I get a momentary -- like a second or even half a second -- loss of power, and then it kicks back in. I don't think it's the fuel pump, so I'm thinking of carb problem. I'm also getting miserable gas mileage -- I know I shouldn't expect too much from a 93 hp gas engine powering a 3500+ lb vehicle -- but we're talking almost V-8 levels of consumption: 12 mpg on average, maybe 15 if I'm doing a lot of highway. So perhaps I need some carb work?

In my quest to improve performance and and economy, I have some questions:

1. Does Weber make a conversion for this car?

2. Would any increases in performance and economy be worth the expense?

3. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert to fuel injection?

the car is a beauty -- I bought it a few months ago with 60k original miles (documented), for a really good price, and drive it every day. I love it -- so I don't mind spending a bit. Any opinions/advice/recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Let's start with the easy stuff: when was the last tuneup? What you're describing can be attributed to any number of things (bad spark plug wire(s), cracked/corroded distributor cap, dirty valves etc etc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your suggestions all make sense and are well taken. Regarding the tune-up, I have to check the previous owner's records, as I've barely driven the car 3k miles (just did my first oil change last week). Regardless, I wouldn't mind making some performance/economy/drivability enhancements at some point.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Your suggestions all make sense and are well taken. Regarding the tune-up, I have to check the previous owner's records, as I've barely driven the car 3k miles (just did my first oil change last week). Regardless, I wouldn't mind making some performance/economy/drivability enhancements at some point.

Thanks!

Jeff
Which is why it's adviseable to do a complete tuneup together with a fuel system service (new fuel filter, carb cleaning etc). I would submit to you that you will see a noticeable improvement.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
I concur wholeheartedly with flyboy, do a complete tune-up so you'll have a performance base to work from and eliminate some obvious potential culprits. In general, the original carburetor on your car has a fine reputation, unlike some other Benz carbs...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Older Mercedes are not known...

for their fuel efficiency. I owned a W114, 250/8 for about 20 years. The mileage on the highway was typically 20, but around town it was more like 12-13, and mixed driving was 15-16.

You have a pretty heavy car for a car with a relatively small displacement "mill"; the engine works hard, and being carburetted with a fair number of emission control devices does not help...

Good luck,

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts