Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was mentioned in another thread that the Pentas should be run with 225 on front and 245 on the rear. I've seen that combo on other AMG wheel for sale as well. What is the advantage of this compared to running 245 on all 4 wheel like I have right now? I love the way the car is glued to the road but it is a beast in some ways, would the narrower front tires make it handle better? Tires are pretty new still so I'm not going to replace them just yet but if it's a better combo to run then I might if and when I change wheels. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
67 250SL & 87 560SEC
93 Posts
I'm interested too... I currently have 215/45s up front and 255/40s in the back (17" Aero Monoblock I wheels). They are Bridgestone Regno 7000 and 8000s; a Japanese version of the Turanza, I've read. I do get a bit of "wander" from the slope of the road. i.e. if it is sloping to drain to the right, there's an ever so slight drift to the right - if it slopes to the left, it wanders slightly to the left. It is so slight, that if I rest my index finger on the spoke of the steering wheel, the car stays straight. But wondering if the fronts are too narrow or the wrong match for the car?

These tires were on the car when I bought it 6 months ago, and they have loads of life left, so it will be a while before I change, but thinking more like 235/45s on the front instead.

·
Registered
1988 560 sec
114 Posts
Now that you mention it,I too would like to know the
answer. I run 225/60/16 Yoko's on my 560sec,and get the same "slopeing" feel in the front coming to a stop.
Can I put 215's on the front and keep the 225's on the rear???. Also, these cars taper
towards the front, so it may be a better fit...
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG, 560 SEL, 500 SL 6.0 AMG R129, CL 55 AMG Kompressor, 300 E W124, E 220 CDI W210, CL 500
781 Posts
i think, if your front rims was fit in 245, that you dont use correctly the steering wheel without touch the body with the tires if your car dont have the widebody kit !

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
My 2 cents.Just got a MB for the first time last month. It came with 17" rims and low profile 245's all the way around.Stick out too much in the front, but think the front rims should have had more offset towards the middle of the car.They are AMG,and don't know if they're available. Mine too pulls a bit when stopping and especially if the road is grooved.They also rub in the front when encountering a bump while turning,althought not too bad. Fender lips are still alright. I had a wheel alignment done,had too much neg camber and the mech said a little bit of play here and there,but all in all not too bad.He mentioned the front wheel bearings seemed too loose and the car has a steering stabilizer, so I suspect it needs to be replaced. So first thing I will be doing is freshening up the front end and installing new shocks all the way around.
I think it's all what u want.Wide tires increase rolling resistance,and will require more steering wheel effort,but will give u more traction for cornering.The wider stance will also help cornering. They should fit without interferance with your fenders though.A little different widths between front and back shouldn't effect things too much as most muscle cars are like this,especially when we're talking about 20mm,less than 1 inch.Chev trucks I hear also have different front and rear tracks. I would like to find out if I can get some rims to bring the front tires in abit without going to a smaller tire,but probably wil just get 225's for the front instead.
I'm also wondering if alot of that pulling while around town doesn't have alot to do with the small profile of these types of tires? Never had any experience with these before.

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
the 'pulling' is called tramlining and is often a result of having big tires up front but also can be caused by a multitude of things. i'm running 235/35/18s up front and 265/35/18s rear. my sec tramlines heaps but that because the lower control arm bushes are worn. this is very common in the w126. i'm also getting the huge bushes that are between the body and chassis done as well as the sway bars. all these things, and a lose steering box, can make your 126 tramline. i'll let you know if how much the tramlineing reduces after doing all the above .... oh and of course go to an expert on Mercs when it comes to wheel alignment.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Photoman,

If you run 235s in the front and 265s at the rear with the same profile sidewall (35) the diameter of your front and rear wheels will be different. Any concerns there? Have you had the speedometer adjusted?

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
AxelWulff - 3/23/2005 4:57 AM

Photoman,

If you run 235s in the front and 265s at the rear with the same profile sidewall (35) the diameter of your front and rear wheels will be different. Any concerns there? Have you had the speedometer adjusted?
no concerns at all. the rolling diameter of the 265/35 is the same as that of the standard wheel/tire combo. so no need to adjust speedo. smaller rolling diameter up front doesn't matter at all. lots of production cars have this anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts