Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a '65 220S. It's a pretty nice example, however, I noted a bit of smoke on startup. I'm imagining that the smoke is from some tired valve guides. I'm not sure if the 180 engines have stem seals but if so those are probably tired as well.

My question relates to my options for rebuilding the head. As a Porsche-guy from way back I always think it's a shame to take apart an engine without bumping the performance "while I'm in there." :D

I note that Elgin Cams, with whom I've worked on other engine projects, has a grind for the 220S. Have any of you put modified cams in your 180 inline sixes. Along the same vein "while it's out" it seems like an opportunity to bump the compression ratio a point or so to something like 9:1. Once again, I'd love to hear from anyone that's had some experience playing with the compression ratio of the 180 engine.

I realize that any major changes in the cams will likely require some carb work, or maybe replacement with a more flexible option (weber perhaps). I'm not looking for maximum power; just a nice 140-160 HP. That power level seems pretty doable without stressing the engine significantly.

If you share you experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
2.2 liters will really never be too fast.
Just rebuild to stock specs first,
Re-ring and valve job will be the best for the least $.
Cam timing will be important.
Try the Elgin cam but compare it's specs to the factory "SL" cams.
If you wish, swap in a good 280S motor
A world of difference

Is yours automatic or 4 speed?
If automatic, that is a major strike against.
The floor shift manual is much more fun.
So is the fuel injected motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2.2 liters will really never be too fast.
Just rebuild to stock specs first,
Re-ring and valve job will be the best for the least $.
Cam timing will be important.
Try the Elgin cam but compare it's specs to the factory "SL" cams.
If you wish, swap in a good 280S motor
A world of difference

Is yours automatic or 4 speed?
If automatic, that is a major strike against.
The floor shift manual is much more fun.
So is the fuel injected motor.
I know that a 2.2 isn't going to be fast. Swapping engines would be completely out of scope for this car.

Do you have any experience with swapping cams or raising compression on the 2.2 180 engine? I'm sure the stock specs are quite boring...

By the way, I drove an automatic '66 230 last weekend, and I'll say that car was quite peppy and entertaining to drive. By far the most lively fintail I've driven.

Regards,
Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts