Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been checking this site on and off for a while and found it helpful in number of occasions.
I need help to determine which way to pursue with a 200d that I got.
It nocks under stress, I cracked the fuel line while the engine was running to find out which cylinder is causing the problem and determined that #4 is the culprit. Adjusted the valve clearance and tried another injector that I had,
neither helped much.
At this point I am thinking of doing a pressure test, will take me few days to get the tool for it.
Is there a chance that the injector pump timing can cause this problem? That was the last thing worked on, the problem started two days after the timing was adjusted. Or may be someone has a better suggestion for the next step.
Will a 240D engine fit on 200D?
Thanks again for all help? sam

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
As you have guessed the Fuel Knock can be caused by low Compression.

Air Leaks in the Fuel Inlet can also cause knocking; as can a leaking old style Hand Primer that has the shiny Aluminum body and hard Plastic knob on it.

If it has the 200D has an Engine with the overhead Camshaft the Timing Chain Stretch/Valve timing can be check (the timing becomes late as things wear and stretch); and remember that the Fuel Injecting Pump is turned by the same Chain.

For a quick check of the Valve Timing on the above described Engine. Remove the Valve Cover and rotate the Engine by hand until the timing marks on the Camshaft Gear line up Exactly with the mark on the Camshaft Bearing Tower.

(On my 84 300D there is no spec for replacing the Timing Chain. However, there are offset Woodruff Keys to restore the Camshaft Timing. Not sure what is available or the specs for your Engine.)
(On mine there is also a more accurate test for the Timing Chain Stretch called the 2mm Method.)
If that is not too far off you can retime the Fuel Injection Pump.
After that is done look down at the Pointer down by the Crankshaft Damper and see what degree mark it is pointing to.
for more info:
Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200d

Thanks for responding,
Does anyone know if 240d or 300d engines will fit the 200d fintail model?
Thanks, sam

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The 300D engine might be too long, the W123-240D engine has the oil filter housing in the wrong place. You might have more succes with the W115-240D engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts