1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am restoring a 1970 220D.
I have had numerous people look at this to try and find where exactly the heater blower motor is located...No one seems to know.
I know it should be somewhere around the heater core,but to no avail as of yet.
I did get a blower motor off a 1969 220 D,but it's a double squirrl cage type....this is suppose to be a single disk type fan.
Any help appreciated.
Next question may be on how to adjust the Idle,the control inside of the car on the dash has slipped since last years use.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1975 300D
7 Posts
The Heater Blower Motor is located deep within the dash above the heat exchanger. You can see it by shining a light into the main heater duct. The dual squirrel cage is the AC motor. Nice setup Huh? You should be able to find a few threads on alternative removal methods (not recommended). I have it from a good source that the replacement takes up to 16 hours and requires removing the entire dash [:(]

·
Registered
1975 300D
7 Posts
Here you go!

"I Maybe your fan just needs to have the shaft/bearing lubed. Use ATF. Or maybe it needs brushes. There is a guy by the name of George Murphy that really knows about these fan motors and A/C systems. Tell him I sent you.
His number is:
Performance Analysis Co, in Oak Ridge TN
865-482-9175 9 am to 5 pm ET M-F
FAX 865-482-9175
E-mail: [email protected]"

·
Registered
499 Posts
The fan motor is the classic "tie the fan to a peice of string and hang it up.then assemble the car around it...".
To fix it ,you must remove the console,the front seats,heater and......dash board.I've done two of these and there is NO WAY to do it any other way.It's easy to damage the dash and the hardest part is to remove it without wrecking the vynyl.Hows your german,? heres a link to the German line 8 club,(114 and 115's)where you can see the work involved in repairing the fan.http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.strichachtclub.de/c_technik/c_technik_lueftermotor.php&prev=/search?q=http://www.mvconline.de/&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&sa=G

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh geez,that makes me so happy to hear that[:(!]
I'm working on this Benz in front of my apartment tho...so,I think I shall option to modify[8D]
I got one of the double squirrel cage type from a 1969 model....I might be able to mount that to work.
Another idea I have is to use a Computer CPU fan...at least to get some flow up to the defroster[:D]
I know I know,that's not original...what can I say...If i ever sell it,the next guy will only have that task to attack.

Thanks for the Info also...any help is much appreciated here!!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Seeing as your car is the earlier version,do you have aircon?,you can access the the fan by just pulling the heater.If you have the earlier aircon it's also simple to remove.You still have to pull the console and it's easy if you push the seats as far back as you can,there are two screws at the back to undo.Do it as SLOWLY as you can so you don't ruin hard to find parts.The top center vent has a rubber sleeve that can shoved to one side ,it's a real mission to it this way and i've done it myself.
A clean cloth is a good substitute....
Look at that german Pdf and you can see he did it on the side of the strasse too!.No big fancy workshop[:D][:D]

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah,The pdf doc was really enlightening.
I may try to do this,I really would like for it to be "right".
I have a bad back and have to work in shifts to get a job done...."bit by bit".
There's is no air conditioning on this car.
Right now I am sidelined with the Instrument panel,I need to get to a few of the bulbs in there,and lub up the speedometer cable......and fix a broken temp guage too.
This car runs purdy well for it's age.
I haven't replaced the glow plugs as of yet,and have been reading all here that I can about them...My first diesel you know [:)]
People keep talking about a relay for them on the firewall,is it just a plastic (1 1/2" X 1" ) box...with six connectors going to it?
Also,I can't find the 50 amp fuse strip.....the wire leads to under the fuse box on the drivers side whell well...I guess I have to remove the fuse box??? I dunno.
All help gets a "tip of the hat" [:p][:p]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts