Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500 (s55 amg clone)
8 Posts
I was told by a tire shop when I was considering 22" wheels on my benz that it was possible But,I would have to go with either 20 or 25 series tires and would drive rough.I whent with 20" wheels isted considering the fact that I'm planning on lowering my car about 1".hope this info helps!

·
Registered
2001 S-Class
139 Posts
I was told by a tire shop when I was considering 22" wheels on my benz that it was possible But,I would have to go with either 20 or 25 series tires and would drive rough.I whent with 20" wheels isted considering the fact that I'm planning on lowering my car about 1".hope this info helps!

Someone recently posted pics with 22' do a search you may find that post.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
I am amazed that people like to put such huge rims on their cars. My God, 22" rim on an S430? I sure like to see pics of your car when you do this.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
Thanks for the pics, there is hardly any profile on these tires to speak of. This car must have one teeth shattering ride with these low profile tires.

·
Registered
2001 s430
6 Posts
22's on s430,s500

HEY THE WHEELS WOULD FIT ON YOUR VEHICLE BUT THE RIMS WILL HAVE TO BE 8.5 ALL AROUND WITH A TIRE SIZE OF 245/30/22. FOR THE FRONT WHEELS YOU MAY NEED TO SHAVE OFF THE UPPER CONTROL ARM NUT THATS GONNA BE THE ONLY THING THAT TOUCHES THE TIRE A LITTLE. I HAVE 20'S ON MY CAR NOW BUT I TRIED 22'S ON THE FRON OF MY CAR AND THATS THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE BESIDES THE TIRES RUBBING AGAINST THE INNER FINDER WHEN YOU TURN.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Yeah I've seen them on cars at the show in Atlanta, but those cars aren;t daily drivers. I wouldn't do it as a daily driver not because of the ride, but those tires won't last 5K miles before they start souning like you are riding on a tornado. 20's do that but they are more forgiving mileage wise so they can be used as a daily driver and looks abut as good as you need to look without going overboard imo.

·
Registered
Silver 2010 S550
257 Posts
Yeah I've seen them on cars at the show in Atlanta, but those cars aren;t daily drivers. I wouldn't do it as a daily driver not because of the ride, but those tires won't last 5K miles before they start souning like you are riding on a tornado. 20's do that but they are more forgiving mileage wise so they can be used as a daily driver and looks abut as good as you need to look without going overboard imo.
Go 20's my man. Better ride, more mileage out of tires, and less aggravation overall all while still getting a great look. But if you enjoy shaving your nuts, feel free to give it a shot!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ultimate choice is yours. Some people say what they think. Me i know what i say and 22s will be good if that is what you want. I my self have a W220 with 22 x 9s 235 25 22r tight wrapped and have no problems with ride. Feels just about the same because car is on air ride. I lowered mine with links and although not easy i made my wheels tuck in fenders. You might not want that but just make sure tires and wheels will clear fenders for bumps and such. Good wheel place will give you correct offset. Sure looks different even if Benz guys say it sucks. Believe me i get huge compliments everywhere i go. Its your car, enjoy it...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont need to shave the nut. Still an inch of clearance. My offset is 45 or something like that. I can find out for sure ltr. I originally had 10s in back but the offset was wrong so they stuck out just a bit more. Another shop later had a better offset even with tens would have tucked. Make sure they measure correct and allow for wheel travel into fenders. As far as my fenders i bought a fender roller 80$ and have a special fender puller used with come along but need to know what you are doing or can damage fenders. You can do well with just the roller but make sure the wheel place gets you the right offset. Mine is not ideal but i made it work. Let me know what happens

·
Registered
3 Posts
All 4 fenders rolled and pulled. If i got the right offset would not have to do that. My mistake was relying on the wheel guys so called expertise. Thats why i said to make sure they measure with you there and try on a wheel with same bolt pattern and offset to see it will go in wheel well. I can do the fender pull because i do bodywork and paint but of course not everyone has that ability. A nice set of wheel is not cheap but sure look nice. So make sure you have a good talk with wheel guy.. mine had said it would not work also. Took it back after and he was like wow.. show him the pics and offset, offset. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ultimate choice is yours. Some people say what they think. Me i know what i say and 22s will be good if that is what you want. I my self have a W220 with 22 x 9s 235 25 22r tight wrapped and have no problems with ride. Feels just about the same because car is on air ride. I lowered mine with links and although not easy i made my wheels tuck in fenders. You might not want that but just make sure tires and wheels will clear fenders for bumps and such. Good wheel place will give you correct offset. Sure looks different even if Benz guys say it sucks. Believe me i get huge compliments everywhere i go. Its your car, enjoy it...
Hello, i have a 01 s500 with 22s on it but im having a problem with the control arm bolt rubbing , did you have to shave yours or did the 235/25/22 tires ot rub. Please respond. My email is [email protected].

·
2000 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, 2006 S500 4Matic, and 2006 S350
7,303 Posts
Don't use 22's. Use 18's for this car and the proper factory tire size, and the rubbing problem will go away.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
W220 Moderator
9,084 Posts
@Tameka40 ,

Moderator Request ....

Welcome to Benzworld.
Please update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
go to Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make and model YEAR ---->
Add your Territorial Location ---->
click save

Read ALL of our stickies before posting, especially the New Guy Sticky.

22" Rims are a ridiculous size to put on a Car that never had anything bigger than 19" from the factory, the reason they rub is beacuse the tyre Profile is too big.

This Diameter will have to use such low Profile Tyres that it will ruin the inherently good ride and handling of a W220 ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.