Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
bashy - 4/24/2005 4:39 PM

Anyone know if they would fit?

Looking at HRE 940's

http://store.yahoo.com/wheelsperformancecom/hre940rseries.html

thanks
I would think that the ride quality would be terrible. Im thinking one pothole and the whole rim, tyre and suspension setup would crap out.

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 2007 Range Rover Sport S/C
4 Posts
hi there did u experience rubbing when u put 21" wheels on your cls?

i want to put 21s but i dont want to deal with rubbing. do u have anymore details on how they were constructed so i can order without having rubbing problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 wheels that were on my old car would these fit my cls the tires are 245-35-20 and 275-30-20 or do i need to get other tires sizes

·
Registered
cls 55
7 Posts
the tires will work, but what kind of mercedes did the wheels come from. the bolt pattern and size will work and the center bore on most newer mercedes is 66.5mm so that will probably work as well. but the offset does very between different models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
they were gonna go on my 05 clk but they were too big for the car so i went with 19's just wanted to make sure they will fit well my main concern was the tires

·
Registered
18 Posts
anything over 20" on a cls would make it ugly, it would sit like a 4x4. don't fall victim to all these rap trends now a days, just because they're exspensive, it doesn't make it looks nice, it's just makes it look tacky. 22's on a bigger body benz such as a g class or an s class is a different story. personally i think 19" is perfect for the CLS, 20" if you have a front spoiler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You guys are being a bit cocky in here.

Sure one can go out and buy "correct" AMG, Carlsson, Lowenhart, Brabus, Klemann wheels for 4-6000 bucks for twenties and brag to your buddies that you have the correct wheels(for a CLS sedan never to be driven over 1000mph???)

I think this is pure garbage.

You can get a number of wheels in both 20 and 22 for the CLS that look great for metro driving and will perform fantasic.

Here are a couple of examples of 22's on the CLS that dont look ridiculous...

By the way, all these wheels are sub 1600 a set!

Get what you want and dont listen to others that "think" they know it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
95 S600 Coupe - 6/8/2005 3:00 PM

You guys are being a bit cocky in here.

Sure one can go out and buy "correct" AMG, Carlsson, Lowenhart, Brabus, Klemann wheels for 4-6000 bucks for twenties and brag to your buddies that you have the correct wheels(for a CLS sedan never to be driven over 1000mph???)

I think this is pure garbage.

You can get a number of wheels in both 20 and 22 for the CLS that look great for metro driving and will perform fantasic.

Here are a couple of examples of 22's on the CLS that dont look ridiculous...

By the way, all these wheels are sub 1600 a set!

Get what you want and dont listen to others that "think" they know it all.
I don't know what you're rambling about or who you are referring to or where your examples are but it seems that you're coming off as the "know it all". But if you're referring to me, I just gave my personal oppinion thats all. If you want to ride high on 22's and rub against the wheel well, go ahead. I've restored all types of cars, older VW's, Muscle Cars, hot rods, etc. And I've seen a growing trend of adding bigger rims and completly messing up the stance of the car. Here's an example of a car that doesn't have a right stance.

But again, you might like riding high, rubbing against your wheel well and having a terrible ride. Ok, time to let my "know it all" persona kick in. In order to fit 22's on a CLS you would have to get a low profile tires which means a smaller sidewall which means you will feel every pothole and rock you encounter. The smaller the sidewall, the less smooth your ride will be. They're great for cornering but they ride terrible. Don't beleive me? GO ahead and buy those 22's but don't say I didn't warn you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ride height is unchanged silly. As your wheel size goes up, youre tire size shortens, therefore the overall diameter remains unchanged, as in this case about 26"... no matter if you use 18's or 22's...

Know your facts, then you can be a know it all

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just saw the 1st picture of your previous post, I take it back, 22's does look good on the CLS if you lower it, I am wrong and I'm sorry for being a little kid (maybe being 24 has to do something with it?) In my defense, I know that the ride quality would depreciate, but as far as looking good, thats a different story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you wouldnt lower a car with 22's as the width of the wheels are too wide, im almost positive that that car isnt lowered but just an illusion of being low with the bigger wheels....but yea all those are examples of 22's on the cls....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey 95 S600 Coupe!!

What are the rims in your middle picture? Could you tell me where I can find them for less than $1600 for the set?

They kinda look like loewenharts to me, but those are way more expensive than $1600.

I also thought that they could be diablo lionhearts, but they are not made with ha lip that fat.

Please let me know which rims those are, I need them for my car badly!!

Thanks!

Cabbe.

·
Registered
CL600 Renntech
70 Posts
I hate to be the negative one here, but wheels are a very important part of your car's suspension and chassis. Having a "bad ride" with 20, 21, or God forbid a 22" wheel should be the least of your worries. That car will handle much worse, brake worse, accelerate slower, road noise and vibration will increase 5 fold, major suspension damage will occur over time.

I am not going to judge the looks. That's personal taste... but you cannot expect a $400 wheel ($1600 set) to have any sort of quality. When you replace a 28 pound factory wheel with 40 pounds of unsprung dead weight, you are doing something to the car that it was never designed to handle.

You cannot maintain factory diameter with a 21" or 22" wheel. That is why it cannot be lowered. Now you are messing with the gear ratio... throwing off the speed sensor, the ecu...

High price is no guarantee either... there are so many wheel makers now out to make a quick buck on unsuspecting owners.. they produce junk and sell them at extraordinary prices.

Karl Benz must be rolling in his grave....

Anyway I am not telling anyone what to do. Just beware that you are making a lot of negative changes to what was your well-engineered car.

·
Registered
CL600 Renntech
70 Posts
twotonedemon3 - 5/26/2005 11:59 PM

i have 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 wheels that were on my old car would these fit my cls the tires are 245-35-20 and 275-30-20 or do i need to get other tires sizes
Guys this is pretty easy to calculate. You must stay within a few mm of your stock overall diameter.

1"= 25.4mm

wheel, plus TWO tire sidewalls = total diameter.

Tire side wall is represented by the second #. If its 30, its 30% of the width (the first #). If its 40, its 40% of the first number.

Example:

275/30/20

calculate wheel first: 20 x 25.4 = 508. Your wheel is 508mm.

Calculate overall tire height:

275mm (width of tire), times 30%. That makes it 275*0.30 in this case. 82.5mm is what we have.

Wheel (508) + Sidewall times two because you have sidewall on the top and bottom (82.5 x 2 = 165). That equals 673.

Your overall wheel/tire diameter is 673mm.

Do the same calculation for the stock wheel and see how far off you are. You should be within 10mm or so, not much more.

Easy... you are better off making the calculations yourself than relying on advice because I have seen errant advice come from the most expert of expert tire/wheel places.

I can tell you how to figure out offset as well when going to a wider wheel. Its a bit more complicated but not that hard.

·
Registered
2004 E55, 2005 GMC Denali XL, 2006 Maserati Quattroporte
3 Posts
22's ??? those examples are not so good

I personally think it's highly dependant on the wheels themselves.. for Luxury cars i am a huge fan of HRE only... why buy a car at 80 or 100k and then get wheels for 2k .. ???

for CLS the 940 or 840 look good on a benz 19's or 20's.... 22's ride tooo hard !!!

this example is not HRE

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2006 LORINSER CLS500, 2001 Honda Accord Coupe, 2005 Yamaha R1 Raven
297 Posts
This is my cls with 21" lowenharts, and they fit fine, but i drive very carfuly due to a pothole problem in my city. I like the look though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts