Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

22.5" RIMS, MICHELIN XZL's, AND CTIS

668 Views 16 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TRUKTOR
I know it has been mentioned on here a couple of times that the 22.5" tires / rims are not suitable for using with the CTIS system, because of the bead profile. The issue is that they would de-bead too easily.

I can't say one way or another, but I noticed that there are a lot of UNIMOGs running around Europe with that set up.
Lots of firetrucks in Germany and France, and some civilian UNIMOGs as well.

It may be that there is a threshold, where they will not deflate the tires as much as the UNIMOGs on 20" rims, I don't know.
The 22.5" XZL's are easy to spot, as they have a distinctive tread pattern with small diamond shaped lugs down the centerline of the tire.
The price has gone up on them - they are about $1500 / tire when I checked today. I didn't spend any time looking for the absolute lowest price as I would if I was actually in the market for them.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Plant community
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Truck
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
See less
I know it has been mentioned on here a couple of times that the 22.5" tires / rims are not suitable for using with the CTIS system, because of the bead profile. The issue is that they would de-bead too easily.

I can't say one way or another, but I noticed that there are a lot of UNIMOGs running around Europe with that set up.
Lots of firetrucks in Germany and France, and some civilian UNIMOGs as well.

It may be that there is a threshold, where they will not deflate the tires as much as the...
See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
1,071 Posts
FWIW, this is paperwork that came with my U500 that pertains to CTIS coding plugs that go into the electronics box behind passenger seat. Noe it relates to 445/65R22.5 and noe the pressures.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very Interesting. At first glance :

A. The 22.5's referenced are Conti AC70's - Ag tires similar to Michelin XM-47's
B. Looking at the Minimum pressure, the Conti AC-70 is rated the same as the 395/85 R20 XZL's - 1 bar
C. The Minimum on the 365 XZL's is 1.8 bar
D. The Conti AC-70's show the lowest Max pressure, which is not surprising, but I'm surprised that the 365 XZL's are at a higher Max than the 395's, given the stiffness of the sidewalls and carcass of the 395's, as well as the load rating.

So, I might be reading this all wrong, and I did not attempt to translate anything, but it would appear that this indicates that you can deflate 22.5's (at least for the AC-70's) as low as you can the 395 XZL's.

I would think that the 22.5 Michelin XZL's (with a tread pattern specific to that size) would rate differently than the Conti Ag tires.
I think that there must be a similar chart for the current UGE's and UHE's that does show the 22.5 XZL's listed. it would be nice to find that - maybe in the Builder's Books.

Thanks for posting - it is a nice document to ponder.

Font Rectangle Handwriting Parallel Symmetry

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing that stands out with the middle tire (365/85 R20 XZL 164G) is that it has 'mit X18 /15,000 kg' attached to it.
So,' WITH X18 / 15,000 kg.'

The other two tires are 'ohne X18 / 11,800 kg' . So,' WITHOUT X18 /11,800 kg'.

Without the added weight ? Or without the added weight rating ? Or ?

And while the kg numbers are clear enough, I don't know what the X18 might refer to.

Interesting stuff.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. The X18 appears to be the GVW package optioned.
In looking at the U5000 book, there are X15, X19, & X20 GVW options.
So the tires are being considered with and without the increased GVW package.

· Registered
U1300L (1990) & U1550L( 2001)
68 Posts
Hi, VA means Vorder Achse = front axle
and HA means Hinter Achse = rear axle

the 365/85 and the 395/85 tires have the same built and sidewall strength. The big difference is with the 365/80 MPT series that are much softer. They are also mounted on 20x11 inch rims with a much lower rim edge/ bead profile. The 20x10 inch rims have a higher rim edge/ bead profile. I don’t know about the rims in 22.5 inch size.
Many Mogs with the standard 20x11 inch rims have RDRA so the height of the rim edge/ bead profile is not a criteria I would say. Fact is you can de-bead any wheel without a beadlock much faster than with beadlock with too low pressures and inappropriate driving.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I should have figured out the VA and HA terminology - I think I was rushing through it, without taking the time to really think about it.
Thanks for clearing that up.
And yes, I was thinking of the 365/80 MPT tires - another mistake.
I think it is time to 'hit the hay'.

· Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
1,071 Posts
I have 3 different CTIS coding plugs. One for 395s with X18 (which I have), VA only goes down to 1.6 bar, HA 2.2.
I usually use the one that is for without X18, VA 1.0, HA 1.9.
Just for slow offroad driving, I have the one on the left which allows HA 1.6.
I have beadlocks In Hutchinsons. Originally, MB “forgot” them in my original 3 piece Lemmerz 116 lb not totally round steel wheels. Despite the fact that they’re part of A31 option which came with A30 (CTIS).

· Registered
138 Posts
I think I should have figured out the VA and HA terminology - I think I was rushing through it, without taking the time to really think about it.
Thanks for clearing that up.
And yes, I was thinking of the 365/80 MPT tires - another mistake.
I think it is time to 'hit the hay'.
I was already surprised you didn’t pick up the Vor and Hinter Axle ;)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Asphalt

445/65-22.5 MPT-515 with ~20 PSI/1.4 bar

1 - 17 of 17 Posts