Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tires are 215 55r 16 pirelli p6 purchased at 81k miles. Passenger rear tire wore out in less than 20k miles and blew out this past weekend (car now has 101k miles), and driver rear is at 3/32nds. Front tires are at 50% tread. My question is I have found a complete set of Michelin pilot exaltos A/S at 10/32 tread and great price at $200 mountedbalanced. However these tires are 215 60 16's. The other option is to throw 2 used tires at 215 55 16 for $75 mounted. So i decided to go with the Michelins, but the tire shop couldnt get the driver front tire off cuz 1 of the lugnuts was over torqued, slightly bent and didnt want to risk anything. I had new front tire replaced around 10k miles ago with a new pirelli p6 at Dobbs tire center in St Louis. Should I drive car 2 hours away back to Dobbs where this tire was put on about 6 months ago??? And then should I throw 2 used Mastercraft on the rear side or go with the Michelins that are slightly taller? I think the difference is little over 3%!!

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
take 2 hr drive (one way?) only to remove the lug BOLT?
Find thick-walled socket that would fit into the hole without a play and give it good push. This way you will not apply bending force on the bolt head, what might break it off.
With different size tires your ABS and ESP might act. Rule of thumb says the system will accept up to 4% difference in tire size, so go on the manufacturers site and compare the tires RPM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local tire shop seemed worried they might harm something trying to get the lug off since it was slightly bent. They just told me that it had been over torqued. So i can either drive 2 hours one way and have them fix it or drive to the local MB dealer, or bring it to another shop. I did the checking and the difference is like 3.1% You mentioned manufacturers site---did you mean mercedez or the tire manufacturer. Just undecided between going with the 4 michelins that are little taller or just putting 2 used tires on the rear? What would u do? Thanks, Chas

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take 2 hr drive (one way?) only to remove the lug BOLT?
Find thick-walled socket that would fit into the hole without a play and give it good push. This way you will not apply bending force on the bolt head, what might break it off.
With different size tires your ABS and ESP might act. Rule of thumb says the system will accept up to 4% difference in tire size, so go on the manufacturers site and compare the tires RPM
The local tire shop seemed worried they might harm something trying to get the lug off since it was slightly bent. They just told me that it had been over torqued. So i can either drive 2 hours one way and have them fix it or drive to the local MB dealer, or bring it to another shop. I did the checking and the difference is like 3.1% You mentioned manufacturers site---did you mean mercedez or the tire manufacturer. Just undecided between going with the 4 michelins that are little taller or just putting 2 used tires on the rear? What would u do? Thanks, Chas

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I would have changed those horribly-designed lugs a long time ago. Scandalous things.

There are a few threads about those and most of them end badly. The most successful ones seem to be those that struck the end of the bolt several times with a sledge which helped break it loose.

It's also possible your other tire store did absolutely nothing wrong. There are plenty of stories of people who were diligent about their lugs and ended up with frozen ones. And it's possible your new shop got them all loose except that one and bent it themselves, but don't want to admit it.

I would not run two separate sizes. The 215-60s should fit okay, but go all four. 3% is enough to create problems and if they trigger system failures you'll have to replace them anyway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
There are plenty of stories of people who were diligent about their lugs and ended up with frozen ones. .
I am one of them. Happened to me twice. The time on W210 was when the bolt torqued to 80 ft-lb took about 200 ft-lb to remove about 6 months later. No corrosion, but I did it the right way and didn't brake the bolt in the process. Don't even ask me how I managed 2000 ft-lb on my motorhome lugnut. Can you picture a big guy bouncing on the end of 12 feet long pipe used as wrench extension?
I am still using the long bolts on W210, since I have 2 sets (minus 1) of them and admire stainless steel caps.
For tire rpm you need to find tire manufacturer chart.
I've been driving on different tires on W210 just fine, but they had the same nominal sizes. One time I had the dilemma on ML, when I had to drive 60 miles on spare -donut sized wheel. That spare is way smaller than original wheel, yet had the traction light come only once on dirt road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same happened me 8 months ago. 2 lug bolts in one side, one bolt in the other side get stuck. We did try every method (cross style wrench, wrench with extension pipe, air impact wrench with 1/2" drive....)nothing worked. At the end, we did try with an air impact wrench which has 3/4" drive (maybe 1", don't remember exactly) used for lug bolts of big trucks. This wrench did its job and removed all these 3 bolts without any break. Then i bought full set of new style short bolts and replaced all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have changed those horribly-designed lugs a long time ago. Scandalous things.

There are a few threads about those and most of them end badly. The most successful ones seem to be those that struck the end of the bolt several times with a sledge which helped break it loose.

It's also possible your other tire store did absolutely nothing wrong. There are plenty of stories of people who were diligent about their lugs and ended up with frozen ones. And it's possible your new shop got them all loose except that one and bent it themselves, but don't want to admit it.

I would not run two separate sizes. The 215-60s should fit okay, but go all four. 3% is enough to create problems and if they trigger system failures you'll have to replace them anyway.

Good luck.
Thanks for the replies fellas. quick update:: I took the car to a different tire shop and they got 3 lug bolts off the fron tire, but one they thought was cross grooved or bent, and the other one broke off flush at the bolt. So now there is about one inch of the stud still in the rim/hub of tire. I decided to go to benz dealer and have them eyeball it, and the head tech./and service manager thought i would end up needing to replace the hub because of the cross threading. They didnt mess with it tho. So i called Dobbs tire which put this tire on 6 months ago and its still under warranty and they wanted MB dealer to confirm that the tire lugbolts were over torqued and misproperly put on---which the service manager conbfirmed with manager of Dobbs!! So they are sending an adjuster out to look at the tire. I suppose i shouldve just drove back to St louis and had Dobbs fix it, but hopefully they will pay for another dealership too and save me a trip.

My question is how hard is it to get that stud thats still in the tire, cause there is a little oval on the studs that is still seated on the outside of the rim. The head of the bolt snapped off cleanly, so I can definitely see why they went to that smaller stud (the 2 inch instead of the 3"). Will they have to torch or screw that sucker out of there?? Thanks for the feedback. Still havent decide on the set of Michelins or just throwing on 2 used tires that will match the fron ones. Those Pirellis sure did wear out in around 21k miles. And had 2 blow outs to boot...

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
Torch would be easy money for mechanic, but would cost you the rim. The best way is to drill the bolt out. It is not that easy since the bolt is heat-treated and deep in the hole. Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Put anti-seize on the bolt threads only. The bolt will apply it to the hub, and stop the rust that causes the bolts to seize. You do not want to get it on the portion of the bolt that contacts the wheel as this is where much of the torque is developed since this area is twice the radius of the threads. Keeping anti-seize off this area will also assure that the lug bolts will not loosen accidentally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts