Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our 1999 ML320 has 215,000 miles and runs just great. My wife just got a newer car and doesn't need the old ML320 anymore. I am thinking of keeping it around as an extra winter truck.

At 215,000 miles, how much more can I expect before something blows up? Anyone out there that got 300,000 miles out of an ML320 without any major problems? Or am I pushing my luck already and should sell it soon?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I hope those lights aren't all on constantly!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,736 Posts
bocabenz

lol :)

I believe MB designed it that way so that with key in position 2, it would indicate a blown bulb. Does kinda' look like a Christmas tree !

Andy

If you decide to keep the ML, I would encourage you to drive it at least once a week. Its important to bring the vehicle up to full operating temperature and take it out on the road to keep everything functioning properly. Trickle charger on the battery is a necessity. I highly recommend the Battery Tender. For $45.00 it will keep your battery in top condition.

Not sure where you live, but you might consider contacting your insurance agent and go with minimum coverage. You should have dropped collision already, but many companies offer a bare-bones insurance if you don't exceed a stated mileage, say 5,000 per year.

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
bocabenz

lol :)

I believe MB designed it that way so that with key in position 2, it would indicate a blown bulb. Does kinda' look like a Christmas tree !

Andy

If you decide to keep the ML, I would encourage you to drive it at least once a week. Its important to bring the vehicle up to full operating temperature and take it out on the road to keep everything functioning properly. Trickle charger on the battery is a necessity. I highly recommend the Battery Tender. For $45.00 it will keep your battery in top condition.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model: Automotive

Not sure where you live, but you might consider contacting your insurance agent and go with minimum coverage. You should have dropped collision already, but many companies offer a bare-bones insurance if you don't exceed a stated mileage, say 5,000 per year.
Exactly, the worst thing you can do is let a vehicle sit, especially a high mileage one.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I don't know that I'd necessarily call it "pushing your luck."

However, personally, and given the potential for oddball things to creep up, if you don't need it, I'd sell it. Not that you'll get all that much for it, but it will have some use for the new buyer and sitting around, it's only one expensive repair issue from you scrapping it (and one minor issue away from you ignoring it until it's scrap). ;)

If you want an extra truck to drive around in winter, then get something more basic that doesn't have the oddball potential.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts