Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking to purchase my 1st E-Class Benz later this year. My max price point puts me where a 2003 E320 / 211 will be.

My remaining concern is reliability/quality, since a competent shop is located some distance from me and I do not have gearhead inclinations.

Bottom line question: It appears that these problems have been flushed out and resolved on later year 211s; What about 2003 211 quality issues? Will they dog this model year for its days?

I hear the most yak about defective sensors and software upgrades. Do problems persist, or were they "infant mortality issues"? (resolvable design issues or parts failure?) - If these issues were addressed by the original owner & shop, does the 2003 211 take on more "ordinary" reliability characteristics?

I would rather have a 211 for all the new features and styling it brings. I am not however in a position to bring it to the shop every couple of months except for routine maintenance. I like to keep my cars for about 10 years and 200K miles.

Thank you.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
i have a 2003 e500 (w211 chassis) and have had zero problems (save for a brake recall software upgrade that EVERY w211 (and some other models) faced) with it since i bought it in july 2003. 20 months and 15,000 miles later, it's a brilliant car.

i suggest you read through this forum, and you'll see some people post issues with their cars. however, i would also take the number of "experiences" you read about with a grain of salt as most people that are happy (i.e., have no issues) with their cars usually don't post in these forums saying that; they're out driving! haha. in other words, your impression of the car's reliability might be skewed because you only hear (read) about those that have issues with their cars.

true, i had a little trepidation about buying a first model year car, but i also realized that a 4 year/ 50,000 mile warranty would cover me; i haven't needed it yet! good luck and pm me if you want to talk specifically about the car/ your concerns. cheers.

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
Well I am in a similar position as Billski, but have a little less to spend[:(]

I am looking at either a 2001/2002 E320 (W210) with about 30k miles or maybe a 2005 C class. (My wife and I will be looking at the size issues to determine if we should be going C or E later this week)

To this point I figured a low miles 210 E would be best since they have "all the bugs worked out" the early 211 are certainly nicer in may respects, but that comes at at cost. Looking around it seems like a 210 would be in the Mid 30's while a 211 in the low 40's [V]

Like Billski I intend to keep this car for many years and drive it many many miles.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you want an E which will last and you will enjoy for many years to come (and performance is an issue) try to find a good ccondition E55 (W210).

However if you just want a decent daily driver you could opt for a late W210 E320 or an early E200 Kompressor W211.

I'd advise you to go for a W211 since it is newer and by now the previous owner woudl have done all the upgrades to the software etc. Also it would be newer and is just that little bit more luxurious.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts