Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit delayed in getting this announcement out this year, apologies to those who have to plan their events well in advanced like myself.

We are planning on holding our 10th annual R/T Mogfest here in South Lake Tahoe, CA on the last weekend of June. That will be a trail ride on Friday, 28th and a longer ride on Saturday, 29th, everyone says their goodbyes on the Sunday and heads home.
Base camp will be at Tahoe Valley Campground as in the past, book your own site, tell everyone where you are and hopefully we can get grouped together for the evening BS around a campfire.

On the very first R/T Mogfest we went into Rubicon to Observation Point for the group shot, then Sourdough Hill reopened, and those views are even better. I was hoping the group would want to go back to Observation for the 10th. However Mother Nature and Old Man Winter have got together and dropped 20 feet of snow in the Sierras, so it could be like 2011 where we didn't manage to get to Miller Lake. See Bill Caids photos of our snow-wheeling,
2011 Western U.S. Expedition with 1017A 20110622

Hope y'all can come this year, Rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael, anyone and everyone are always welcome. Trail rides start "early-ish", campfire BS is after dinner. Scott Ingham arrived one evening in a TDI Beetle after completing a parts delivery. Welcomed with open arms.
Rod

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,207 Posts
Didn't we even have a Democrat one year Rod?...... Just joking fokes....we've had two..... again just joking. The campfires are a lot of fun and I really missed that last year!!
Hope to see you all. Mog had more snow yesterday....Tried to open up a road to a young guys cabin. I was too much a woosy to chain up with only one fully bending knee.
Chas

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 416.141
354 Posts
Guys, I'm in......reservations are made, I'll be up there Thursday afternoon, Rod and anybody else getting there early, perhaps a quick meet up for cold adult beverages?
Rick Montez

·
Registered
1966 Mercedes 404 Unimog Buggy
206 Posts
Around what space are we congregating this year? I have to on the preplanning as 30' gooseneck and trees is always entertaining ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Independent Chas, Independent. Independent thought, independent action.

Looks like you have a sprinkling of snow there. You plow a pretty path with that blade, hope your neighbor is appreciative. Rock solid 4' in the backyard and 5'+ in the front. Just waiting for the melt.

Rick, I'll be here for adult beverages Thursday night. See you and any others then.

T-shirt issue has met with a yes vote. Looks like I'll have to do something about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just received the t-shirt design.
Going with tan and the lighter green we've used in the past to really show the trucks off. Don't have a price yet but that also depends on the order size. Price break happens at 24+ t-shirts, so orders please and I can get this going and have some idea of cost.

Rod

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming up on crunch time for t-shirt orders for 2019 Reno Tahoe Mogfest. Shop needs 10 working days to process and I need to get there to pay and pick up.

Pricing for orders 24+
Small thru' XL $12.50 +NV tax = $14
XXL $15.00 +NV tax = $16.50
XXXL $16.00 +NV tax = $17.50

Right now we are just under the 24 shirt mark if all that have shown interest commit. If I can't get 24 there is an additional $9.25 per shirt for small orders.

Those that need theirs shipped will also have that to add.

Please get your needs to me ASAP. Will order this Wednesday!!

Hope to see many Mog faces there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hoping to make it Rod. We'll see how the spring goes.
Doing shirts this year?
Chas

My mog would really like some trail time again for a vacation, its had to earn its keep......
Anyone know the dates of Mogfest.... CHAS needs some help remembering :wink

·
Registered
206 Posts
So the event was a great time as usual.

I got to town Thursday after a 7 or so hour drive from Las Vegas and setup camp. Upon arriving I hooked the Mogster to a battery charger I brought with me. I was in a hurry and loaded my rig on the trailer Sunday but left the battery disconnect in so the lockers were on, running lights, CB, etc Sunday to Thursday and the battery was dead... :(

Rick showed up with his 416 from San Jose (I think it was) that day and Rod drove all the way over from his house 1 block away ;) We went for dinner @ a Whole in the Wall chicken place which was pretty darn good. Hung out at camp for a few hour telling tales and having adult beverages around a camp table because Tahoe was under a fire restriction due to wind.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Friday morning Ron showed up for the run as well as a 1017 which was YUGE!

We headed out about 10am to Jenoa? Peak. I was overheating around 270F as usual on a full throttle assault on that hell to the trail but it was expected and made it without exploding. We hit the trail and about 1/3 of the way in we are taking pictures of the overlook and a father (Leroy) & daughter walk up in motorcycle gear. They tell us their bike is dead and they were hiking out. We offered to help them and went down to see what we could do. The magneto had died and it was a heavily electronic reliant fuel injected bike and the battery was now dead. We were trying to load it into the 1017 but the bed height lifting a what seemed to be 800lbs motorcycle 6' in the air seemed hazardous. I thought lets try to charge the battery so they have enough juice to return to the main road.

We gave it a go off a single battery of the 1017 but since the truck is 24V we never got about 12.1V so I don't think it was charging very good. They loaded up and headed out and I told them I would follow them as I could catch back up to the group fast in the buggy. About 3 hills back they died again and opted for me to tow them out. The daughter jumped in the Mogster to ride so the Leroy didn't have the extra weight to try to manage on a dead motorcycle. We got about 1/2 way back and on a down hill he got a little too close and the strap hit the front wheel and wham he went over. Took the fall like a champ and rolled out no injuries. Picked the bike up and opted to free ride the bike down hill and tow up hill. We got the the parking lot and ran into a nice Jeep couple that offered to give them a ride back to their hotel to get their pickup truck.

I turned and burned and caught the group at the peak. Took some pictures and we headed down to a clearing to have lunch.

After lunch we headed out and once we hit the road Rod's 406 started starving for fuel. We looked it over and found some loose bleeder bolts on the fuel filter. Tightened it up, primed it and it started to run then died again. Changed the primer pump, primed it up and it ran all the way home. The 1017 said by and went home. They were just out for a day trip.

That night more Mog talk and some great Mexican food.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Friday part Part 2

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Saturday morning, we met up and hit the road about 9AM to go to the Rubicon. We ran in towards the scenic overlook we typically do but there was a pretty good sized snow bank across the trail at an angle. I was willing to give it a go but the bigger mogs, if it went bad, could really do some damage so we opted not to try it. Further up the trail was even more snow and a downed tree so it could be a LOOONG day if we tried.

We headed back and turned up the main Rubicon trail and ran into a local club doing trail maintenance. So that blocked out way forward. We took a lunch break and looked at another offshoot trail behind where we parked. It had a 4' snow bank in the middle of the trail but we decided lets play a little. I hit it first and just as I crested the to my rear wheel spun out a little and I popped over and got onto the dirt ahread. Ron yells at me "You were in 2 wheel drive!".... huh... Rod went next and 4 wheel drive, locked front and rear his new Michelin tires just chewed there way straight down to the trail and planted him firmly on his frame. Rick needed to pull him out backwards. On his second attempt he made it but someone noticed when he was sitting on his frame the snow had pushed up on his air tank and broke the mounting strap. He opted to not go any further. I continued up and played a little more up the trail but since I was the only one moving forward I turned around and went back to the group. We turned around and headed out, aired up and started back to town.

On the way Rods truck started acting up again. We stopped a few times to prime it but a mile or so later it would die again. We think the fuel pump might have took a dump so he opted for the strap of shame. Rick's 416 pulled him back around the lake back to his house. Afterwards we met up at camp and hit the local burger joint. Excellent brisket burger. Back to camp for some more mog stories and later bed.

All in all we did some good, did some recovering and had a great time!

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Saturday Part 2

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
On the way home I slowed down to catch a photo of a 406 in the front yard of a house in Yerington.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,207 Posts
It is true ...... my foo is weak!! I still don't know how I got the wrong week. It was my birthday weekend and I knew I could get away without too much guilt from the "handbrake". I set it up to pick my returning wife in Reno so she could see her family while I play........... Picked her up..... called Rod and realized I was a week off.......doh!!!! I really needed it sooooo.
Chas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts