Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I don't have the combinations of access required so I haven't been able to watch the video. I will try and find it another way. I am hoping they deal with the fact that Vettel had all four off track.
All 4 wheels off the track yes, but at over 100 mph and on slippery grass, and not while Lewis was right behind the Ferrari or trying to pass / out break the other car.

The curb where the grass ended was higher and made the front end air born before coming down on the track with lots of oversteer.
Otherwise, Vettel would have rejoined the track where he was aiming at, in the middle.
Its visible in the video. Could Vettel have slowed down more, I don't know, but watching his steering input, it looks like he was trying to get back control of the car.

Some of the pundits think that the stewards could have asked Vettel to switch places with Lewis and we might have seen a thrilling finish in the race. It could be perhaps be argued he had an advantage, like the Monaco shortcut through the first schicane after the tunnel.
But this was grass and not tarmac.

Had there been gravel instead of grass, the issue would never have come up.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Rethinking my original feelings on this, I think the situation would have been best handled if the Stewards had just agreed the incident wasn't serious enough for them to intervene and therefore decide the race result. As you have said Teutone, Sebastian was trying his best to get the car back on track in a relatively safe manner. Equally, for almost the entire race, Lewis wasn't demonstrating that he was being held up by the Ferrari and deserving of having first place essentially handed to him. Some sports have a "higher authority" in place to review controversial calls. F1 has enough at stake to do something to mitigate the possibility of a local steward making a questionable call IMO.

·
39,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rethinking my original feelings on this, I think the situation would have been best handled if the Stewards had just agreed the incident wasn't serious enough for them to intervene and therefore decide the race result. As you have said Teutone, Sebastian was trying his best to get the car back on track in a relatively safe manner. Equally, for almost the entire race, Lewis wasn't demonstrating that he was being held up by the Ferrari and deserving of having first place essentially handed to him. Some sports have a "higher authority" in place to review controversial calls. F1 has enough at stake to do something to mitigate the possibility of a local steward making a questionable call IMO.
Well, they put the stewarts in the position of being forced to decide on a penalty, nevermind their personal opinion/feelings.
When immediately after the incident Hamilton mentioned 'unsafe re entry' to his engineer, the die was cast, and the stewarts had to deal with the incident imo.
Present rules were developed with full participation of the drivers, to avoid gray zones and leave only black and white.
Probably to keep first year cowboys like Kvyat, Grosjean, Verstappen in check.
Perhaps the drivers need to revisit the rules?
Cheers

·
39,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Montreal, Joe Saward's post race lunch with Emanuele Pirro (the stewart)

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00514

21 - 24 of 24 Posts