Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a set of spark plugs and an air filter for my 2016 E350. When I took the air filter out I decided to start replacing the plugs. Well I took the first plug out and lo and behold it did not match the plugs I was sent! I was sent Bosch 0041598103 plugs...which matched all the Mercedes and general parts web sites.

But the plug I took out was a Mercedes V6SII3328...same as a Bosch 7434. Totally different head that connects to the coil. Everywhere I look up the Bosch 7434 it tells me it won't fit my E350, so I had to ignore the warnings.

What on Earth has happened? Did Mercedes switch plugs on this model and forget to update the parts database?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,427 Posts
www.boschautoparts.com lists those plugs for a FLEX fuel engine, and has no listing for a GAS version.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I looked at that Bosch site. When I entered my VIN and it listed available parts...it showed no spark plugs since mine comes up as a gas model.

Interesting, when I did pull up the 7434 on their site they actually had the wrong picture of the plug:

Here's a picture of the real 7434 (which is what the one I took out of my E350 looked like):

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,427 Posts
I don't have your VIN so I just went by model. Hmmm. There's a list of parts and when I clicked on the 7434 for more details this is the first pic I see. (I zoomed in on my phone).

If it's the same at least you have an option vs dealer pricing...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is Mercedes lists the wrong plugs for my car. It looks like it may be the MB part number 270-159-07-00. Is my car an oddball or has anyone else hit this with the 2016 model year E350?

Indexing I would assume happens when you accurately torque each plug, correct? So you would need consistent threads on the plugs, consistent washers, and consistent electrode orientation! Seems to be a lot of room for error! I know because before going into the computer business I was a prototype machinist. I made parts for the Lunar Excursion Module!

I'm seeing people claim they are getting NGK plugs from their dealers...the plug I pulled had "Made in Germany" and a Bosch part number on it, so perhaps the Bosch version would index correctly on my car?

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
823 Posts
The problem is Mercedes lists the wrong plugs for my car. It looks like it may be the MB part number 270-159-07-00. Is my car an oddball or has anyone else hit this with the 2016 model year E350?

Indexing I would assume happens when you accurately torque each plug, correct? So you would need consistent threads on the plugs, consistent washers, and consistent electrode orientation! Seems to be a lot of room for error! I know because before going into the computer business I was a prototype machinist. I made parts for the Lunar Excursion Module!

I'm seeing people claim they are getting NGK plugs from their dealers...the plug I pulled had "Made in Germany" and a Bosch part number on it, so perhaps the Bosch version would index correctly on my car?
What’s your VIN, we can check in the parts catalog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay! I found a set on eBay...pictures matched exactly to the one I pulled out. Of course they didn't list the 2012 E350 for them.

What site had that listed?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look. Finally a site that has the right parts!

So I entered the VIN into mbpartscenter, mercedespartscenter, and mecedesbenzofdurham web sites...and they all said to use the same incorrect plugs! They all gave me 004-159-81-03, which are the same incorrect plugs FCP Euro sent me. So I guess I can't blame them.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
5,188 Posts
0041598103 applies to 276 engine however, if it is code 929 (ethanol fuel e85 as shown in post 9 above) 0041596903 is correct.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it. Unfortunately every parts site I checked recommended 0041598103 even after entering my VIN. Even a Mercedes Dealer site did the same! A fair amount of on-line plug confusion for the 276 engine.

So I ordered a set of 0041596903 plugs. Should have them soon. I'll try to figure out how the plugs are indexed when I take the original plugs out. Does anyone know the actual positioning required?

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
823 Posts
Got it. Unfortunately every parts site I checked recommended 0041598103 even after entering my VIN. Even a Mercedes Dealer site did the same! A fair amount of on-line plug confusion for the 276 engine.

So I ordered a set of 0041596903 plugs. Should have them soon. I'll try to figure out how the plugs are indexed when I take the original plugs out. Does anyone know the actual positioning required?
Using MB plugs and torquing them per spec will ensure their indexed correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I'll see if I can post how they orient when the new plugs arrive and I install them. I did re-install the one plug I had taken out at 17 foot pounds and I haven't seen any issues, so seems to be indexed correctly.

I see you have an M3! I just recently sold my '99 Z3 M. Also owned an E34 5-series, an E39 5-series, an E70 X5 diesel and three E83 X3's! Now down to two E83's, a C300 and the E350.

·
Registered
2016 E-350 Sport
70 Posts
srhornnh
Which 2016 model do you have? And were the plugs you removed the original ones from the car? Reason I ask is that I have the 2016 Sport model, RWD. I changed my plugs and ended up using ZR6SII3320 which Bosch says are correct for my car and also indexed. My plugs that were the original from Mercedes had the traditional connector to the coil, not the blunt tipped style which Bosch calls the EVO plug.

Part Number: ZR6SII3320

This part compatible with: 2016 Mercedes-Benz E350 V6 3.5L

• Approximate Resistor Value: 1000
    • Center Electrode Tip Material: Iridium
    • Gap Size: .7
    • Ground Configuration: Standard
    • Ground Electrode Core Material: Copper
    • Ground Electrode Quantity: 1
    • Ground Electrode Tip Design: Tapered
    • Hex Size: 14
    • Insulator Material: Ceramic
    • Insulator Type: Projected
    • Manufacturer Heat Range: 6
    • Outdoor Power Equipment Application: No
    • Reach: 26.5
    • Seat Type: Flat
    • Short Style: No
    • Spark Plug Type: 4-Cycle

16 total specs

Key Features

• Double Iridium electrodes – iridium firing pin and iridium ground electrode inlay offer higher performance
  • OE Replacement: meets or exceeds manufacturer design requirements for modern gasoline engines to provide OE fit, form and function
  • OE-matched spark position for compatibility with new Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) technology
  • 4X Longer Service Life: compared to standard copper spark plugs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a 2016 E350 4Matic Sport. Apparently I have the 929 option that is called "ENGINE FOR ETHANOL FUEL E85" that changes the coils and plugs. The plugs I have are the original plugs...car just hit 50K miles. ZR6SII3320 are the plugs FCP Euro sent me...so you obviously have the "Gas" model engine, while I have the "Flex Fuel" version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So one of the sources I found for the A0041596903 plugs just told me that part A2701590600 has replaced them. I'm guessing these are the newer NGK versions. Of course every web site I check says they won't fit my car!! Does anyone have a contact to get Mercedes to get their act together on this? This is driving me nuts!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts