Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,
We are having our get together up in beautiful Lake Tahoe this year. The is the "cross posting" from Rod on the moglist.....

Chas and I have agreed to a time and place for this years R/T Mogfest, yeah.
Thursday, June 9th thru' Sunday, June 12th here in South Lake Tahoe, CA.We will camp at Tahoe Valley Campground as we have in the past, due to it's easy access to restaurants, stores and fuel etc..
Mark your calendars.
It is earlier this year due to other events, but I doubt the snowfall we've been getting here in Tahoe will have a detrimental effect on the trail access.
Look forward to good company and lively discussions around the campfire.

Shoot any questions and we'll have more later....

Chas

·
Registered
1966 Mercedes 404 Unimog Buggy
247 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy All,
Time for the dreaded shirt order. We'll be doing tan and green again with whatever the "Art Lady" comes up with. Send the orders to "[email protected]" with sizes, colors and number of each.
See you all soon.
Chas

Ps....So, this is the official invitation to come to the event. I've had a few folks that say I didn't ask them.......Hope to see you..
Chas

·
Registered
247 Posts
2 XL Green and 2 XL Tan for me!

Can't wait, those that are going don't forget the optional early arrival Rubicon Trail run. I plan on dropping tow rig and trailer at camp on Tuesday and heading around to the start of the Rubicon Wednesday morning to meet those that are going around 10AM at Loon Lake campground parking lot. One night on the trail and back to Tahoe Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
1700L Doka
305 Posts
Pending the brake fix, air leaking from both foot pedal exhaust and parking brake valve, I will be leaving on Friday.

Otherwise we will be coming in the baby Benz.

Booked a cabin.

2 xxl and 1 med and 1 small

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Sir I did. They even made them at the last notice. This year they only screwed up on of the orders by one shirt. I may not get them to you until I get back from Peru....
Pictures will follow.

We had a great time and pictures will follow. Joe and Tammy took some videos and pictures. We did pretty tame trails.....but....I did notice that Joe actually had to back up once....Ok, he really just put it in reverse.
Chas

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Beautiful Thursday morning start...Kevin and Joseph in Kevin's 1350. It ran well doing the event. This is a road down to Carson River. We normally cross it but this year it was so high I would have only driven Kevin's rig......funny, he wouldn't let me. The last photo is of a fine Dodge product that was abused and left on the trail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Had dinner at a Basque restaurant in Minden. Food was awesome. That is a steak smuthered in garlic....I slept alone.

Back at camp Joe had arrived from his trip in to the Rubicon with Dan and another 404 buggy. The Mogster is very capable. Joe did realize that gas engines need spark.....sissies!

Kevin's 1350

The other picture is proof that mog owners need coffee.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On Friday we headed out for a drive up to Eureka Peak and Twin Peaks. Eureka has great views but the wind blew us around like rag dolls. List of Mogs...Kevin's 1350, Rod's yellow 406, Ron's Alaskan topped 416, Joe and Tammy's Mogster 404 and my 1250L Doka.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
1700L Doka
305 Posts
Chas and all,

Had a great time even though I did not go on the trail run.

It was good to see folks I met last year as well as new comers too.

We all have our personal success stories with our Mogs. For me, it was being able to jump in the Doka Friday morning, drive to Tahoe for 3 hours straight and have everything working as it should...how little did I know! Plus, with the WH1C turbo, I had 15 psi at ~2K rpm and could maintain 50-60 mph (395's) through all but the steepest hills, which required a downshift to 7th.

Brakes were awesome; they were good when I got them working prior, but with replacement of and/or cleaning/re building of most components, they became amazing! Air pressure never dropped below 15 bar or so, even though I did not have the exhaust brake installed and made long decents needing braking. Portal temps never got over 100 degrees, with rear pumpkin at 120 ish, and trans temp after long ascents of about 150. Engine temps good, oil pressure excellent.

Realized that a bit more HP and TQ would allow 8th to pull most grades faced while driving, and I have the 366LA sitting...just waiting to go in. It should do it. Bump up the rpm from 2600 to 3K, and drop it in....should do it. Do not need to go more than 60 mph.

So, what did I not know? Well, after years of keeping the fuel tank full, including when I left, it became apparent that I was out of fuel after dinner Friday night as when I went to start it Sat morn to go run around, it would not start. Had about half a tank of fuel, but no pressure! Filled it up, changed filters, pumped it up and bang...started right up. Used about 15-16 gallons to go 100 miles in mountainous terrain. Maybe not so bad?

So next event we will be joining the trail events!! With a few improvements....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts