Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
If you get an answer please share it. I am not having the problem anymore now that I "snugged" fasteners up, but I am unable to come up with a reason why the pins bind when they are tightened.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had similar issues the other week with my 2014 ML 350 Bluetec. But only on the left side and not the right side. Turns out my issue with the burning smell from the pads was caused by installing the inside pads on the outside and the outside pads on the inside. The inside pads are slightly taller to accommodate the pad sensor. It was this taller portion of the pad that was pressing on the rotor and causing the burning of the pad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did that too and had to switched them out. initially i used pagit pads and they are dusty. i didn't know if they were dragging or something. later i switched to OEM pads and they have less dusts. i think they are just hot in general. i might just think too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did that too and had to switched them out. initially i used pagit pads and they are dusty. i didn't know if they were dragging or something. later i switched to OEM pads and they have less dusts. i think they are just hot in general. i might just think too much.
I am assuming you greased the slide pins as well? I used Akebono Pads. Can you actually smell the pads burning? Do you have an IR Temperature probe? When the pads were burning I took an IR reading of the left side and got 120-150C vs the right side 50-70C. Now that I switched the pads around the left side is matching the right side at 50-70C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I re-read your original post and you did mention greasing things. My bad. The only thing I can think of bug is that you have stuck piston in both left and right caliper? I have the right rear caliper on order should be arriving tomorrow. I am replacing the right rear caliper because when I originally changed the pads I could see a hole in the boot around the piston, and also the boot had popped out of the caliper itself. I was able to press the piston back on. The other reason for changing the right rear caliper is that the right rear pads were 3-4mm thick while the left rear pads were at the 2mm mark. So again suspecting the right said just not working as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i don't have one. i been thinking to get one for a while. i basically touch rim by hand to see how warm it is. initially, i thought it was too hot (i guess i never touched it before to have a fair comparison). but after i feel the rim on my subaru and lexus, i guess the temp is normal, especially i had it checked with a mechanic as well dealership. waste of time and money.

i will report back once i check the temp with a temperature gun

·
Registered
4 Posts
I re-read your original post and you did mention greasing things. My bad. The only thing I can think of bug is that you have stuck piston in both left and right caliper? I have the right rear caliper on order should be arriving tomorrow. I am replacing the right rear caliper because when I originally changed the pads I could see a hole in the boot around the piston, and also the boot had popped out of the caliper itself. I was able to press the piston back on. The other reason for changing the right rear caliper is that the right rear pads were 3-4mm thick while the left rear pads were at the 2mm mark. So again suspecting the right said just not working as well.
you can jack up the car and turn the wheel to see if it can turn freely after disengaged the emergency brake. i was also told that you could try to drive around the neighborhood without using your brake safely to see if your rotor is hot. if it's not, then you don't have a stick caliper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you get an answer please share it. I am not having the problem anymore now that I "snugged" fasteners up, but I am unable to come up with a reason why the pins bind when they are tightened.

Jim
Here is my take on this "binding" issue. When you tighten up the slide bolts, you are actually drawing the caliper towards the head of the bolt and therefore compressing any free play needed by the caliper on the slide pin. The tighter the bolt the closer the caliper is drawn towards the caliper piston. In essence you are are pressing on the brake pedal and pulling the brake pads together. The pads/caliper is no longer in a "floating" position. It is critical to find out exactly the proper torque needed for this bolt and to make sure you tighten to the correct amount.

You may want to replace the rubber bellows covering the slide pins as they may deteriorate over time. I recently bought a kit from rockauto.com that included new pad clips, new rubber bellows. As I was tightening up the slide bolt, I also noticed the bellows begin to compress and therefore taking up free play the caliper had on the slide pin.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Here is my take on this "binding" issue. When you tighten up the slide bolts, you are actually drawing the caliper towards the head of the bolt and therefore compressing any free play needed by the caliper on the slide pin. The tighter the bolt the closer the caliper is drawn towards the caliper piston. In essence you are are pressing on the brake pedal and pulling the brake pads together. The pads/caliper is no longer in a "floating" position. It is critical to find out exactly the proper torque needed for this bolt and to make sure you tighten to the correct amount.

You may want to replace the rubber bellows covering the slide pins as they may deteriorate over time. I recently bought a kit from rockauto.com that included new pad clips, new rubber bellows. As I was tightening up the slide bolt, I also noticed the bellows begin to compress and therefore taking up free play the caliper had on the slide pin.
Thanks for the feedback. So far so good. No brake issues since I "snugged" the pins instead of tightened them beyond "snug." Driven around 10,000 miles as well. Just seems like an odd thing. Next time around I will replace the pins and bellows.

Jim

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
JimSmith
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing