Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , this is my first post in this forum.

I've sold my Lexus GS and purchased (my first MB) a 2014 E350 Sport three weeks ago, I like this car a lot, however, I am finding the driver seat not as comfortable as I expected, perhaps I was spoiled with the Lexus' seats?, however, MB's motto is the best or nothing, I was expecting the seats to be really top quality. The problem is more evident after driving for more than one hour, I am 6' and normal build (195 lbs), never had this issue with any of the other cars I had in the past (Lexus, G37, GM, Nisan, etc). I'd like to hear if other people is having this issue or it is just my car that may have a defective seat?. I have tried all the position combinations that you could think of but I was only able to get some minor improvement. I'd like to get other MB owners input before I call MB service to explain this issue.

Other than that, I just wish that MB would provide heads up display as an option (BMW does have now standard with their Nav system), and other nit pic is the the size of the Nav screen to be too small for a car of this quality.
Cheers,
Herb
I am having a terribly uncomfortable seating in my 2014 E-350 driver seat (actually passenger seat is identical). The seat bottom is too narrow with the raised side edges too hard. As a result, my thighs and outer heap bones are pressed very hard by the raised seat edges. So painful that I can hardly drive the car. Since I bought the car two years ago, I have driven only 2500 miles so far, keeping the car parked in my garage most of the time. I complained this problem to my Mercedes dealer and they said they had never heard of the same problem from other owners. But, as a good gesture, the dealer did one thing for me. With my consent, they inserted a thick sponge cushion in the seat bottom to raise it higher for my seating. This did not remove the problem, unfortunately. This created another problem. The more hardened and raised seat bottom just push up my buttocks at the center and the problem is now worse. Well, the seat is just a hell. I don't know what to do after all. I don't want to take my car back to the dealer for the problem, knowing that there is nothing they can do to solve the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2013 E350 hard seating

I bought my wife a 2013 model E350. I find the seats to be very narrow and uncomfortable. I can't seem to adjust them in any position to make them comfortable for a long ride...... I thought it was just me...

Devoir

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought my wife a 2013 model E350. I find the seats to be very narrow and uncomfortable. I can't seem to adjust them in any position to make them comfortable for a long ride...... I thought it was just me...
I'm pretty sure I've already talked about that seat on this discussion forum, but after searching through this thread I don't see anything from me, so here I go again.

It absolutely is not just you who has issues with the seat. I have a 2014 E250 with the fancy leather driver's seat that massages and keeps me upright in turns and ventilation holes and all that stuff. I'd use the proper name for the seat but I can't remember what they call it and when I went to the MB website for building an E-Class just now I saw the special seat is no longer mentioned as an option. I assume that means it's no longer optional because it goes into every E-class they build? Maybe? Anyway...

My seat is comfortable enough for drives across town, but on long trips it feels like a torture device. My solution has been to place a Temper-Foam cushion on the seat for trips of more than a couple of hours. It fits in the middle of the seat cushion and thus raises my rear above or about even with the seat's side cushions. It's a good thing I'm not tall (about 5'11") as with the cushion in place my head almost touches the ceiling, even when the seat is at its lowest setting.

I love my car otherwise, especially the fuel-sipping, peppy Diesel engine and all the COMAND stuff and the auto-parking and lane-keeping bells and whistles, but I am not a bit fond of that seat. After driving the car a year, I sent an email to my salesman just to review my impressions, most of which are positive, because I thought he would like to know how things were going with the car. It was a nice note; I really like the guy and would buy from him again, even though he's across the country from me. He replied, among other comments, that personally he finds the seat very comfortable, but he forwarded my note to MB-USA anyway, and soon in the mail I got a nice letter thanking me for the feedback, along with an MB pen and notepad set. But I still have to deal with that seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The real problem is the seat bottom doesn't tilt up at the front. I had a BMW 535 2010 with incredible seats, traded in on a 2013 E550. Lots about the car I liked, the seats sucked, I got rid of the car after less than a year. I bought a2014 Jetta wagon that has great comfortable seats, they don't tilt up but they are not Flat as the Merc. I was told by tech that the knee airbags dictated the use of a non adjustable seat cushion. BTW I'm in the market for another car..........BMW I think!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
One feature of the multicontour seat which I have recently been made aware of (in my '14 E350 Sedan) is that you can extend the seat surface forward. (Extend it under your knees further). This helped me achieve a comfy seating surface.
Adjustment is called up under command, and rotate the toggle until the seat is highlighted and adjust it outwards (forward).

·
Registered
731 Posts
The real problem is the seat bottom doesn't tilt up at the front. I had a BMW 535 2010 with incredible seats, traded in on a 2013 E550. Lots about the car I liked, the seats sucked, I got rid of the car after less than a year. I bought a2014 Jetta wagon that has great comfortable seats, they don't tilt up but they are not Flat as the Merc. I was told by tech that the knee airbags dictated the use of a non adjustable seat cushion. BTW I'm in the market for another car..........BMW I think!
This was my big grip at first - the seat bottom has no range of adjustability for the front edge. I was told this was designed this way on purpose to facilitate the knee air bag function. I've sat in other models and some are slightly better, but not much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have reread this entire post and would like to know if the posters are talking about the Sport or Luxury model? Is there a difference? I have a 2012 E350, the Luxury model, and the seats are perfectly comfortable. I have been seated for a couple hours, not a terribly long trip, granted, but I have NO complaints at all. I have heated seats but not ventilated, and I think they are leather, but not positive. (Edit- I have MB-Tex) I may be trading in for a newer E350 before long, and would like to know if the Sport has different seats, which might not be comfortable.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have reread this entire post and would like to know if the posters are talking about the Sport or Luxury model? Is there a difference? I have a 2012 E350, the Luxury model, and the seats are perfectly comfortable. I have been seated for a couple hours, not a terribly long trip, granted, but I have NO complaints at all. I have heated seats but not ventilated, and I think they are leather, but not positive. I may be trading in for a newer E350 before long, and would like to know if the Sport has different seats, which might not be comfortable.
I have the luxury model, 2014 E250. I have the top of the line "multicontour" seat, leather upholstery, heated and ventilated with air bags that inflate as I round corners to hold me upright and more airbags behind my back to give me a massage. It's the "best" seat in the luxury model, but it becomes uncomfortable for me at around the 2-3 hour mark. As I have indicated, on short trips I give it no thought. But on long trips I begin to realize my legs are going to sleep and I find myself twisting up on one buttcheek and then the other and back again and there's just no way to get comfortable. So I keep a cushion in the trunk and I use it for long trips. It solves the problem, but it doesn't excuse MB for building a luxury car with a driver's seat that's not luxurious.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The first time I drove a 2014 Luxury with multi-contoured, heated/ventilated seats, I immediately found them to be very uncomfortable. As a result of this initial test drive, I almost gave up the idea of owning a 212. However, after some experimentation sitting in other 212's at the dealer, I noticed that the seats without the multi-contour/ventilated feature were more comfortable.

I thought about eliminating this particular feature from my wish list, but since I couldn't find one at any of 4 "local" dealers that was equipped with all the other features I wanted, I had to look elsewhere.

On my own, I finally located a Luxury 212 in NC with every other feature except the multi-contoured, ventilated seats. After a phone call and some negotiating over the phone, we flew to NC, picked up our otherwise-loaded 2014 212, and drove it all the way back to NY without a single complaint about comfort. BTW, I haven't felt uncomfortable in the 18 months we've had the car.

My only conclusion is that whatever is in the seat cushion of the multi-contoured, ventilated seats may be somehow contributing to the discomfort that so many have complained about. However, if you don't have those two features and you're still driving the luxury-packaged sedan, my conclusion is probably invalid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find the active contour seat in my 2013 E350 very comfortable and is one of my favourite features. But it is not ventilated, perhaps that option is the problem ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I recently drove a new Jaguar XF. Now these are some hard seats. I was shocked. All the surfaces were very hard, center arm rest and the door arm rest. the 340hp supercharged engine was nice though, lots of grunt.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My wife and I just drove our 2013 E350 Sport 1300 miles and both had back aches. The seats in our 2006 E350 never caused discomfort. The new seats are narrower.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , this is my first post in this forum.

I've sold my Lexus GS and purchased (my first MB) a 2014 E350 Sport three weeks ago, I like this car a lot, however, I am finding the driver seat not as comfortable as I expected, perhaps I was spoiled with the Lexus' seats?, however, MB's motto is the best or nothing, I was expecting the seats to be really top quality. The problem is more evident after driving for more than one hour, I am 6' and normal build (195 lbs), never had this issue with any of the other cars I had in the past (Lexus, G37, GM, Nisan, etc). I'd like to hear if other people is having this issue or it is just my car that may have a defective seat?. I have tried all the position combinations that you could think of but I was only able to get some minor improvement. I'd like to get other MB owners input before I call MB service to explain this issue.

Other than that, I just wish that MB would provide heads up display as an option (BMW does have now standard with their Nav system), and other nit pic is the the size of the Nav screen to be too small for a car of this quality.
Cheers,
Herb
Hi i have had my E220 coupe AMG line for 3 weeks i have started to get pain in my upper back across my shoulders im rearly not happy as my wifed citreon C1 seats are more comfortable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uncomfortable driver seat in '14 E350

I transitioned from BMW 535i to my just purchased 2014 E350. I bought it used last week and still under warranty. I'm 5'7. There's not much of a head room even for a guy with my height. I had more head room in my Beamer. I concur with the others as the seat being very uncomfortable. I've had back surgery 3 years ago and this seat is making it very uncomfortable to drive. I love the ride and other features. The seat is flat and does not tilt. To make the matter worse, the nifty seat storage is always touching my calf. It prevents you to fully flex your leg and sticks to the skin during the summer time and gets very annoying. May have to take it out. Im not sure what to do about the seat and can't be miserable for several years owing this car. Any suggestion? Has MB addressed this issue? Can the seat be swapped with another model with better adjustment features?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I transitioned from BMW 535i to my just purchased 2014 E350. I bought it used last week and still under warranty. I'm 5'7. There's not much of a head room even for a guy with my height. I had more head room in my Beamer. I concur with the others as the seat being very uncomfortable. I've had back surgery 3 years ago and this seat is making it very uncomfortable to drive. I love the ride and other features. The seat is flat and does not tilt. To make the matter worse, the nifty seat storage is always touching my calf. It prevents you to fully flex your leg and sticks to the skin during the summer time and gets very annoying. May have to take it out. Im not sure what to do about the seat and can't be miserable for several years owing this car. Any suggestion? Has MB addressed this issue? Can the seat be swapped with another model with better adjustment features?
As has been stated in other threads, the lack of adjustability (flat seat bottom) is a design feature and is intentional so the knee air bag will function as designed. My car has the leather and active contour feature and they are ok, not great but ok and from what I read much more comfortable than seats with MB Tex.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@ MorrisSL..I am trying to figure out what to do with the seat as well. I have a 2013 E350 with sport heated/ ventilated/ multi-contour seat. Seat is fine for short drives of 15 minutes or so, and not so comfortable after that. I know a previous post in the C Class forum mentioned replacing the seat with the Volvo S60 driver seat (probably half joking), but I am actually wondering if you can use the same type of foam (softness/ support) from the Volvo seat and contour it to fit/ replace the foam in the MB seat. I think this would be the best of both worlds if possible. Has anyone tried this?

From my perspective, it is the rear portion of the lower seat cushion (where the lower seat cushion meets the back) that is the most problematic. Feels like the seat is narrow with little "give," and thus creates a pressure point/ "pinch" that becomes really irritating over time. I drove a Nissan Altima for a few weeks while on an extended work trip, and had no problems. Think that seat was slightly wider and definitely had more"give."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I figured out the problem!

I have the luxury model, 2014 E250. I have the top of the line "multicontour" seat, leather upholstery, heated and ventilated with air bags that inflate as I round corners to hold me upright and more airbags behind my back to give me a massage. It's the "best" seat in the luxury model, but it becomes uncomfortable for me at around the 2-3 hour mark. As I have indicated, on short trips I give it no thought. But on long trips I begin to realize my legs are going to sleep and I find myself twisting up on one buttcheek and then the other and back again and there's just no way to get comfortable. So I keep a cushion in the trunk and I use it for long trips. It solves the problem, but it doesn't excuse MB for building a luxury car with a driver's seat that's not luxurious.

I believe I have found the problem with the seat. At least it works for me. On the sides of the flat surface there are raised areas, I'll call them wings here, to keep your butt from moving side to side. The wings are too narrow and sharply elevated/vertical. I've compared these to other cars and they are much wider and softer. Where the wings meet the back/upright part of the seat is very hard to the touch and makes close contact/puts pressure with the side of the hipbone where you have the bony bulge (trochanter). When I tilt to the right and lift my butt/thigh away from the wing, the discomfort goes away. So, I ordered a highly rated seat cushion off Amazon and been using it for the past three days. It seems to have solved the problem. It basically raises you off the seat and away from the hard wing part of the seat and softens the contact. I agree with others where a car like this should not have so many unsatisfied customer as far as the comfort goes. I even called the MB customer service and she said that they have had numerous calls about this issue, but there's nothing they can do about it. Pretty crapy service if you ask me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Sam6959, what is the brand of seat cushion you are using? I have tried a few myself, but the one thing I don't like about all of those cushions is the abrupt "end" of the cushion..meaning it stops short of covering the seat from front to back. This lack of a tapered cushion makes my legs feel like I am sitting on a bar stool with my legs dangling. In a sense, it's like I have exchanges one non pleasant experience for another.

Like you, I also reached out to MBUSA about the problem via E-mail. I got a response back stating my concern is being reviewed, but no communication as to a solution yet.

So having stated the above, I am thinking of either getting my seat seat foam adjusted by an upholster or maybe have the upholsterer make a custom seat cushion that provides uniform coverage of the seat for equal support/ comfort through the lower seat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Sam6959, what is the brand of seat cushion you are using? I have tried a few myself, but the one thing I don't like about all of those cushions is the abrupt "end" of the cushion..meaning it stops short of covering the seat from front to back. This lack of a tapered cushion makes my legs feel like I am sitting on a bar stool with my legs dangling. In a sense, it's like I have exchanges one non pleasant experience for another.

Like you, I also reached out to MBUSA about the problem via E-mail. I got a response back stating my concern is being reviewed, but no communication as to a solution yet.

So having stated the above, I am thinking of either getting my seat seat foam adjusted by an upholster or maybe have the upholsterer make a custom seat cushion that provides uniform coverage of the seat for equal support/ comfort through the lower seat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

LATL, here's the link to the one I ordered: Amazon.com: Seat Cushion - Car Seat Cushion - Chair Cushion - Sciatica Cushion - Prostate Cushion - Hemorrhoid Cushion- Low Back Pain Cushion - Tailbone Cushion - Coccyx Cushion (Titanium Black): Health & Personal Care

They all stop short in mid thigh. I ordered one before this one and it was a bit shorter so I returned it. Here is the link to the one I returned: Amazon.com: Brimma Orthopedic Coccyx Memory Foam Seat Cushion, Gray: Home & Kitchen
This one was better cushioned but having the split front and being shorter in length did not make things any more comfortable. It might work for you. Good luck! :)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
39 Participants
Sam6959
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing