Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 4 years of mostly trouble free ownership I noticed that I've never had any indication that the lane assist option I purchased has ever worked. From what I understand the steering wheel is supposed to vibrate if you wonder over the center line. My system seems to be on, yet when I purposefully drive over the center line nothing happens - no steering wheel vibration happens.

So I've scheduled a trip to the dealer to have the service dept. check it out.

Have others had this issue? Is there some subtle thing I'm missing here?

Looking back I must have been in a brain fog to buy this in the first place as it cost $895. If they can't make it work - fine, give me back my money :)

thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
My E250 doesn't have it, but new Ford F350 does.
I had a failure of it already as the camera mounted in overhead mirror failed.
Would I have a choice - I would disable the feature.
Not only the wheel vibrate on merging traffic lanes, but driving wide vehicle I like to stay close to the shoulder, so the system keeps warning me about driving over shoulder line.
Good luck with your case.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,606 Posts
No problem with mine, Mike. Wheel vibrates if I cross (or am about to cross) either the center line or the one on the shoulder. Hopefully, yours will just need to have the sensor looked at so that it's working as it should. Could be really helpful preventing real problems in that second or two before...??? Are your front and rear sensors working when objects are too close?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem with mine, Mike. Wheel vibrates if I cross (or am about to cross) either the center line or the one on the shoulder. Hopefully, yours will just need to have the sensor looked at so that it's working as it should. Could be really helpful preventing real problems in that second or two before...??? Are your front and rear sensors working when objects are too close?
Well I don't have parking sensors, so nothing for the rear. I do have a front warning sensor though as sometimes when a car in front is turning and I'm coming up from behind the sensor will chirp if it thinks I'm approaching too fast. It also sometimes give a false warning when going under a hiway sign.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the dealer assured me that my lane assist was working. Now that I know what to look for I feel like a total idiot for spending money on this joke of an option. I must have been having major brain issues when ordering the car and spending this amount on a car I probably thought, oh well what is another $1,000, "I'll take it". What a complete waist of money.
In hindsight I should have made the salesman show me in a demonstrator how this worked. Basically when it is one and you have the display showing the lines on either side of the car, they must be green to indicated the system sees the road markings. Then when you drive over a line there is a very subtle thump, thump, thump on the steering wheel. It feels as though you are driving over the turtles, but very small ones. What a joke!
My wife's new Mazda CX-5 has this feature, but as it is newer it is completely different. Her steering wheel really vibrates constantly and the wheel actually pulls you back into the lane. Pretty cool actually.

Oh well, live and learn...

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
Personally I would take subtle thumb, thumb over the vibration my Ford does.
On Ford truck it was standard issue, so I did not spend extra money on it, but still the false alarms are irritating.
Is Mazda really pulling back, or is it placebo effect?

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,606 Posts
The impression I get from your latest post following a discussion with your dealer, Mike, is that you may be confusing two different options that were available on our 2014 E350s.

Like you, I opted for what I believe was referred to as "Lane Keeping Assist". This is the feature that will alert you with a mild steering wheel vibration if you inadvertently wander from your lane. From what you're saying, this is the feature which we both have that will give you that "thump, thump, thump" that you seem disappointed by. I will say, on one or two occasions, that mild steering wheel thumping has alerted me to return to my lane when I've inadvertently wandered into the adjacent one.

The other feature, which was also available on our 2014 model was something called "Active Lane Keeping Assist", and I believe this is the feature that you describe on your wife's new Mazda. This feature, also available on our 2014 model, will actively assist (pull) you back into your own lane as you describe the feature in the Mazda. I don't have that in my 2014 and presume you do not either, but in an emergency, it might someday prove to have been worth the extra cost.

Just a clarification of options. Thankfully, your lane assist is working the way it's supposed to, according to your dealer at least.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other thing I didn't mention is it is only "active" when going over 35mph. Also, after 3 thumps it stops which seems a bit odd. I think it is only active also when the display is set to show the street lines on either side of the car. Can you verify this Robert?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I would take subtle thumb, thumb over the vibration my Ford does.
On Ford truck it was standard issue, so I did not spend extra money on it, but still the false alarms are irritating.
Is Mazda really pulling back, or is it placebo effect?
As the other person mentioned on my wife's car it is "active lane assist" and yes the steering wheel does come alive and try to pull you back into the lane. It doesn't pull so hard to override the driver, in other words the driver still has ultimate control, but the wheel is "nudging" you back into the lane. It may even show you in the heads up display that you have crossed a line. The heads up display is also amazing as it recognized road signs and displays the speed limit in a small version of the sign.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,606 Posts
The other thing I didn't mention is it is only "active" when going over 35mph. Also, after 3 thumps it stops which seems a bit odd. I think it is only active also when the display is set to show the street lines on either side of the car. Can you verify this Robert?
During a couple of late morning errands, these are my experiences and observations:

The vibration in the steering wheel is more like very light thumps, there were only 3 thumps each of several different times when I purposely got too close to either the shoulder line or the center line, and it only occurred at speeds over 35 MPH +/-.

As far as the "display" to which you refer, if we're talking about what's shown on the dash, the display I usually have showing is the one that calculates miles traveled, MPG, etc., labeled "Since the Start" of any given day. When driving today, however, I experienced the 3 thumps no matter what changes I made on the display. It didn't matter whether the "street lines on either side of the car" were showing.

Hope that's both clear and helpful, Mike.

·
Registered
2014 E350 Sedan
70 Posts
...Now that I know what to look for I feel like a total idiot for spending money on this joke of an option. I must have been having major brain issues when ordering the car and spending this amount on a car I probably thought, oh well what is another $1,000, "I'll take it". What a complete waist of money....
I have a 2014 E350 sedan (US). A few thoughts beyond what other posters have already shared:

* I checked my configuration sheet. The $875 option package titled Lane Tracking Package includes Blind Spot Assist and Lane Keeping Assist. Even if you don't think Lane Keeping Assist that vibrates the steering wheel is useful, I bet you like Blind Spot Assist that shows yellow/red arrows in the mirrors and beeps when you signal a lane change into an occupied lane.

* The instrument cluster Assist Graphic shows green lines when the camera detects the lane markings. I have found the detection to be surprisingly good even in bad weather or poor markings. My owner's manual states Lane Keeping Assist is available between 40 mph and 120 mph.

*As already stated, Lane Keeping Assist is active regardless of instrument cluster view.

*Lane Keeping Assist operation differs slightly depending on whether it is set to Standard or Adaptive. Adaptive suppresses the vibration under hard acceleration, breaking, or steering.

*Lane Keeping Assist has helped me a few times.

*Slightly off topic: My car does not have Active Lane Keeping Assist. I read that corrective steering uses the ABS actuators to apply brakes on individual wheels to steer the car back into the lane. That is mostly software. I think the extra mechanical parts are front radar sensors that ensure corrective steering does not steer you into a collision. I wonder if the same front sensors are used by Distronic Plus cruise control and Collision Prevention Assist, or whether each feature has its own sensors.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,606 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, rlsmith. Your explanation was better and more thorough than mine. I think the Blind Spot Assist is most helpful, but the Lane Keeping Assist vibrations have brought back my focus on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
During a couple of late morning errands, these are my experiences and observations:

The vibration in the steering wheel is more like very light thumps, there were only 3 thumps each of several different times when I purposely got too close to either the shoulder line or the center line, and it only occurred at speeds over 35 MPH +/-.

As far as the "display" to which you refer, if we're talking about what's shown on the dash, the display I usually have showing is the one that calculates miles traveled, MPG, etc., labeled "Since the Start" of any given day. When driving today, however, I experienced the 3 thumps no matter what changes I made on the display. It didn't matter whether the "street lines on either side of the car" were showing.

Hope that's both clear and helpful, Mike.
thanks for the input. Mine doesn't seem to be active which the digital speedometer displayed, which is what I usually use.

·
Registered
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
280 Posts
I have the Active Lane Keeping Assist (FAP) option 238.
I does bring the car back if I don't react quickly enough by braking on the opposite side and it shows a graphic on the center screen when it happens.
And steering wheel shake is strong enough and loud enough to wake you up should you have fallen asleep at the wheel and cross the center line.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Wagon S212
33 Posts
My active lane keeping assist stopped working when I had an aftermarket windshield installed. Made them swap it for Factory glass and it started working again.
Love the feature almost as much as I love the distronic plus!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.