Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and trying to purchase my first Mercedes... Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated... My original order for a 12' ML 550 was placed March 10th 2012, deposit taken and told 8-10 weeks. I called at 9 weeks and was told my salesman was no longer working there and that they needed to switch my order to a 13' due to some of the options I added. My new order is as follows,
2013 ML550 Steel grey
Auburn brown Designo/brown satin ash wood
Premium 1 package
Parktronic
Lighting package
Heated/ventilated front seats
Heated rear seats
On/off road package 430
Airmatic 489
Heated steering wheel
Trailer hitch
20" AMG 5 spoke
Harmon/kardon logic 7
Multi color ambient lighting
Soft close doors
Keyless go
Distronic 997
I was told I would have the car by the first week of August so I told the dealership that I wanted some type of answer... I was told that the sales manager called the factory and he "feels" (not exactly what I would call concrete) that I should have it by the the second week of September and that the soft close doors and designo interior is what was "probably" holding me up... I've had a "PO" number for a few months already and was originally told that it would be built the third week of July. I live in Long Island, NY. Any insight would be appreciated, I apologize for the lengthy post....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2013 ML550; 2011 535i; 2006 Z51 Corvette
3 Posts
Man, that's a loaded ML! You will love it if you can get your hands on it.

My dealer was very able to track the manufacturing and delivery process. If in fact your ML was built in the third week of July, your dealer should not only have the VIN number, but they should know the projected delivery date. My ML was delivered within 2 weeks of its build date. Something's up it seems. I suppose it's possible that one of your options is not in stock and that might be holding up the manufacturing of the car...but again, a competent dealer is provided that info from MB and they should be able to convey it to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Well...

Your communication from the dealer is a bit hazy - Vance factory build based on "decades" and most likely what they were telling you was production was schededuled for 3rd decade/last 120 days of the month.

That said, the exect production specs for the order would have been locked down from Mercedes side last month.

Frankly, the production "codes" changed from '12 to '13 - so you should make sure there is clear understanding on what your ML in production has in terms of the original optiosn you ordered... you can check '13 features and packages on the post from Gregs from the 2012 order guide except will not show Designo options in that guide... for features in part you should have 319+997+430

In NJ I would expect a 3rd decade ML Sept 15 - 22.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a new member and trying to purchase my first Mercedes... Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated... My original order for a 12' ML 550 was placed March 10th 2012, deposit taken and told 8-10 weeks. I called at 9 weeks and was told my salesman was no longer working there and that they needed to switch my order to a 13' due to some of the options I added. My new order is as follows,
2013 ML550 Steel grey
Auburn brown Designo/brown satin ash wood
Premium 1 package
Parktronic
Lighting package
Heated/ventilated front seats
Heated rear seats
On/off road package 430
Airmatic 489
Heated steering wheel
Trailer hitch
20" AMG 5 spoke
Harmon/kardon logic 7
Multi color ambient lighting
Soft close doors
Keyless go
Distronic 997
I was told I would have the car by the first week of August so I told the dealership that I wanted some type of answer... I was told that the sales manager called the factory and he "feels" (not exactly what I would call concrete) that I should have it by the the second week of September and that the soft close doors and designo interior is what was "probably" holding me up... I've had a "PO" number for a few months already and was originally told that it would be built the third week of July. I live in Long Island, NY. Any insight would be appreciated, I apologize for the lengthy post....

How can you add Soft close doors to your order?
I have called 2 dealers in Houston, TX, they said no way i can add that to M class.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,127 Posts
Soft Close Doors

How can you add Soft close doors to your order?
I have called 2 dealers in Houston, TX, they said no way i can add that to M class.
883 Soft Close Doors were listed in the 4/9/12 model change information, but not priced for any of the models. Not sure if they are indeed available. That option sounds a little gimmicky, and one that could be a maintenance headache down the line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I would like to thank Fabbrisd1 for your reply, everything you stated is right on the money, although I'm a bit confused about where you mention "120 days.". You were 100%, I was told it would be built in the third decade of July and was also told that I was no longer able to change anything with my order past aprox early June. What I'm still confused about though is why I'm waiting until (hopefully) late September if it was slated to be built in late July... I was told by the dealership for what it's worth that I was in the first group of 550's to be built in 2013...
Also, the soft close doors are code "883" a special order option for $550, it's priced on my build sheet. It's the first time they are being offered on the ML.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,127 Posts
First I would like to thank Fabbrisd1 for your reply, everything you stated is right on the money, although I'm a bit confused about where you mention "120 days.". You were 100%, I was told it would be built in the third decade of July and was also told that I was no longer able to change anything with my order past aprox early June. What I'm still confused about though is why I'm waiting until (hopefully) late September if it was slated to be built in late July... I was told by the dealership for what it's worth that I was in the first group of 550's to be built in 2013...
I think the "last 120 days" was a fat finger type - should read "last 10 days". Your car may be held for the official release of the 2013s is my guess.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Well...

Yes, the soft close feature may indeed be "hanging it up".

Have delivered 6 2013 ML's in past two weeks and 1 2013 ML63 (yes, which was awesome).

I have seen/used the feature in a pre-production "factory road demo" 2013 GL450 that has been running around to dealers for training. I like it as a interesting feature though in comparision not quite as slick as the S-Class sedan. Magnetic hinge detects postion then like a short-throw trunk closer for those not familar with it. In a couple of week the road demo's will be shipped to Germany for advance crash testing rather than going to the crusher here.

This "soft close" may be the reason for the hang-up...

Also to note - for those that love 12/13 ML's the new 2013 GL - think of a ML scaled up 10% - just saying the new GL has a lot to love for ML admirer's - for GL owners now that want a more 2nd/3rd row added room over what they own now - the '13 GL, doesn't really fit that direction.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fabbrisd1, you obviously have vast experience with the Benz line up, have you seen the ML with the designo? In your opinion, is it worth the money? I've only seen the pictures online and lived it. I loved the quilting design of the stitching... Is there a noticeable upgrade in the leather? Softness, quality etc? I liked the look of the auburn brown with the satin finish wood, I just hope I'm not disappointed for the $3k it cost over the regular leather option...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the ventilated front seats, have you experienced them in the ML? Have an opinion? Thanks in advance for your time...

·
Registered
2006 c280, 2009 320 ML BT, 2011 ML 550 Grand Edition
293 Posts
Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the ventilated front seats, have you experienced them in the ML? Have an opinion? Thanks in advance for your time...

I got them...some times they are great, some times not so much...depends on how hot it is and what you are wearing I guess.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems as though the ventilated seats get mixed reviews at best... I would like to know what type of system Mercedes uses as opposed to other companies such as porsche and Cadillac which seem to have a better set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts