Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the tire model and speed rating of the tired that come on the 20" AMG option for the 550? The dealer couldn't get me an answer. Also, if the tire comes with a VR rating is the speed limiter raised above the 130 mph that comes with the standard 19" tires?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
Tires

Does anybody know the tire model and speed rating of the tired that come on the 20" AMG option for the 550? The dealer couldn't get me an answer. Also, if the tire comes with a VR rating is the speed limiter raised above the 130 mph that comes with the standard 19" tires?
I'm pretty sure the Style 758 AMG 20" wheels use the same tires as the Style R33 twin-spoke 20" wheels available with the 350. Mine came with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes (265/45R-20). These are H-rated, low rolling resistance all-season tires. The limiter is not raised. Things have changed a bit since I got my '06 with 19s that came with Summer tires. I will likely go to Summers with a second set of Winters in lieu of the All Seasons.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid that was the answer I would hear. Being in the northeast I can see myself getting winter tires as well, in the snow, tire quality is more important than the actual 4WD system. I was hoping though that the upgraded wheels would come with a 155 mph limiter. I know that I can get the limit raised through a renntech CPU but I still can't get a definitive answer about it voiding the Mercedes warranty or not...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
If you are considering the Renntech reflash for $2800 - albeit awesome gains to be had _ I would call Oliver at Speedtuning USA and see what he thinks or what he can do to match the Renntech program a better savings.

I think it's kindof a chuckle that someone might expect a limited to be raised because of a larger wheel option.

Let's face it the Renntech reflash is amping up the turbos - technically under Federal law only the modified part loses it's factory warranty - in this case the ECU - but yes, it has happened where future warranty claims are refused on other stuff.

Flip side I have seen MB dealers install a reflashed CPU - it all depends on where you get headed with what dealer.

Specifically, if your VIN # in Netstar gets flagged by a dealer as Code 8 - ALL future warranty claims for anything need specific MB corp approval.

Again, it all is in the relationship with your dealer. Most dealers are cool with legitimate mods - but if the owner is a ass, then the service dept has control over warranty reporting that can get even with a owner real quick.

Will the performance gain stress out other areas of that engine or the ML - no way, piece of cake - you're pumping in a bit more air, at a bit higher pressue - this ain't a nitrous hack job.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I think it's kindof a chuckle that someone might expect a limited to be raised because of a larger wheel option.
I think what the OP was hoping is the larger wheels came with V or higher rated tires which would allow a higher Vmax. Not an unreasonable expectation.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I was afraid that was the answer I would hear. Being in the northeast I can see myself getting winter tires as well, in the snow, tire quality is more important than the actual 4WD system.
Wow, someone who understands physics! Amazing how the average driver has no clue of the importance of the tires. Even though we only get snow/ice here 2 or 3 weeks a winter, I like the security of real snow & ice tires in those conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts