Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MBZ owners,

I’m very new to this forum and already love the discussions. So I gave my GLK350 a back to school tune up and I was wandering what are others doing to get their cars tuned up. So basically I bought all parts on my own and had my mechanic installed them all. Labor was $300 and parts came out to roughly $400! Which is not bad considering an MB tech will rip you an arm and a leg! Below I will list all the parts I bought and change and please feel free to throw in some opinions in there!

MANN OIL FILTER
MANN ENGINE FILTER
MANN CABIN FILTER
MOBIL ONE 0-40W FULL SYNTHETIC
MOBIL ONE DIFFERENTIAL FULL SYNTHETIC OIL (FRONT AND BACK)
DURALAST GOLD MAX SEMI CERAMIC BRAKES (FRONT AND BACK)
FRONT AND BACK BRAKE SENSORS
FULL ANTIFREEZE FLUSH
ANTIFREEZE USED VALVOLINE ZEREX G48 BLUE
I ALSO CHANGED THE TENSIONARY BELT ASSEMBLY ALONG WITH THE PULLEY (INA BRAND)

At 75K miles, I gave my transmission a full tune up using MB OEM transmission oil (blue) and OEM transmission FIlters. I also changed the front lower arm And the shock kit around the same time. I tend to change the oil on my vehicle every month and every two months I change the filters. My car is at 83K miles and at 100K I will be changing the spark plugs! Would love to see what others are doing to up keep their Benz!!

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,279 Posts
Everything looks good there, except I am a big fan of Akebono ceramic brake pads over the auto parts store brands. Also since you flush the coolant rarely, I just buy the Mercedes coolant from the MB parts counter. Yeah, it costs a bit more, but since you only do it once or twice (maybe) in the life of a car, I spring for the real deal.

Keep in mind that Mobil1 differential fluid, although a fantastic product, isn't approved by Mercedes. That fluid is 75W-90, while the spec fluid is 75W-85. There are those that think the shear strength difference between the two is enough to warrant using the correct fluid. Others say don't worry about it. Pick your poison!

You don't need to replace brake wear sensors if they aren't giving you a warning. They literally just sit there until your pads wear down enough for the sensor to rub against the rotor and give you the warning light. Replacing them is a waste because they don't go bad, and if they did go bad...you'd get the warning! So as long as things are quiet, they are working.

AND while there is nothing technically wrong with changing your oil every month, it's crazy overkill, not to mention expensive! Your car holds nearly 8 liters of oil, twice as much as most cars, for a reason. So you DON'T have to change the oil every six months or 6000 miles! If you follow the dash reminders and change the oil when it tells you, you will still be ahead of the game.

Still, it's refreshing to see someone so enthusiastic about routine maintenance. Your car will love you for it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts