Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tilt wheel is stuck in the up position. I wonder if there is a DIY fix to unstick the wheel. The power is working to the wheel, but I had the settings activated for easy entry. Last week the wheel would not come back down after entering the car. Any suggestions???? Many thanks,

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
741 Posts
You probably were using the convenience setting that automatically moves your wheel up when you leave and then down when you get back in. I also used this setting and found that after about 5 years my wheel stayed in the up position - the reason was that the motor that moves the wheel had worn out.
So, thanks to my extended warranty I got the motor replaced for free - otherwise it would have cost $1,000. I have since turned this feature and the wheel stays put.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You probably were using the convenience setting that automatically moves your wheel up when you leave and then down when you get back in. I also used this setting and found that after about 5 years my wheel stayed in the up position - the reason was that the motor that moves the wheel had worn out.
So, thanks to my extended warranty I got the motor replaced for free - otherwise it would have cost $1,000. I have since turned this feature and the wheel stays put.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you remember if the motor shut down completely or did it hum like it was still trying to move. Thanks,

·
Registered
741 Posts
It shut down completely. For what its worth, the dealer did say the replacement motor is a newer more robust version than was put in my 2014 car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news! My local mechanic attempted to get the steering wheel unstuck. They were not able to help with the problem. They were kind enough to call the local Mercedes-Benz dealer who in turn told me to bring it in. I expected a huge repair bill, but they told me that this is a fairly common problem and that a "love tap" on the steering wheel would solve the problem! I had not even sat down in the waiting room and they had it fixed and for free!!!! There are still honest and kind folks out there!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes, this was the fix the first time I took it to my dealer. then a couple of weeks later it died for good and the motor had to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts