Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 c280 4matic
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the MB website all 2013 C300's now have a 3.5 liter engine, but it has less HP and worse fuel economy than the C350 or the E350. What are the differences in these two 3.5 liter engines? Both are direct injection. I have also noticed that in Minneapolis two of the Merc dealers are listing the 2013 C300 as having a 3.0 liter engine like they didn't notice the engine upgrade. I have scanned W204 post and no one mentions that the new C300 is a full second faster 0-60 than the old 3.0 liter C300, again according to the official MB site. I think the c300 just became a more interesting car to own in 2013.

·
Registered
2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
819 Posts
You are right, 2013 C300 has a 3.5L engine with 248 HP, but it is not direct injection, like the one in the C350, which is a more economical, a more powerful, and a more complex engine even though it has the same displacement.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
MB likes legend names. Sometimes they're descriptive and other times their mostly to carry on the heritage.

For example, the ML500 has a 16-plug 5L engine--like having your own German-made mustang engine in a 5,000 lb Jeep.

The ML500 was replaced by the ML550 which is a turbocharged 4.6L engine. Now MB is bringing back its old badge: but, the new ML500 has a 4.7L direct injection engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2013 C300 4matic 0-60 in 6s?

I'm looking at getting a 2013 C300 4matic. MB USA website says 0-60 is 6s. No data provided on the Canadian website yet. And for the C350 is 5.9s. Is this correct? I can't seem to find any discussion about this on this forum or elsewhere. I am having a hard time deciding between the new 328 and the C300. Anybody seen any other sources for 0-60 times on the 2013 C300 4matic?

·
Registered
2014 - ML350 Bluetec
81 Posts
You are right, 2013 C300 has a 3.5L engine with 248 HP, but it is not direct injection, like the one in the C350, which is a more economical, a more powerful, and a more complex engine even though it has the same displacement.
Err I believe the 2013 C300 is Direct Engine. It's just a detuned version of the C350.

·
Registered
2007 c280 4matic
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new c300 would seem to be an attractive car compared to the old 3 liter c300. It is curious though that, according to the mercedes website, that the engine only has about 20 horsepower over the old engine but gets to 60 a full second quicker--but I take them at their word. I have heard that some direct injection engines have a diesel like chatter at idle, I would listen for that before buying. I was settling in to drive my c280 another 10 years when the local dealer send me a postcard saying my car was worth up to $13,200 on a trade because--their words--demand has skyrockedted on c280 models and it also happens to be in its peak trade cycle, this on top of all their other incentives, so I'm thinking about it as well.

·
Registered
2014 - ML350 Bluetec
81 Posts
I just found the canadian website ebrochure lists the 0-100km at 6.8s. compared to the 0-60mph of MB USA at 6.0s.
Just curious to know, why do 0-60 times matter with a car like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not so much the exact 0-60 time that matters. I believe people just want to know it's acceleration capability. The 2012 C300 just feels "slow". So if the 6 second acceleration is true it could be the complete package for someone needs that bit of extra speed along with a comfortable ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At least for me it matters because I am also considering the new 328xi. I am comparing mostly interior material quality, ride comfort, and speed performance. I think they both look great.

·
Registered
2007 c280 4matic
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anther consideration with BMW is living with run-flat tires and all that entails. I understand BMW has compensated for harsh ride issues with the early run flat models but one is still left with possible issues of repair when far from a dealer .

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Something you need to know to compare engines is that the older 300s which are improved (in every performance measure) over the 320s they replace and even the first 350s are a different block than the newer 350s. All of the older v-6 engines are a component part of the V8 so they have a 90 degree slant and a counter-rotating balancing shaft. The engine that replaces them is a dedicated v-6 with a 60 degree slant and direct injection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got the new 2013 C300 4matic over the 328i xdrive. Got every possible package on the car including some optional things. More options than I actually needed or wanted, but it was in stock and got a good deal due to end of generation deals.

It is definitely a bit slower than the 328i but is quick enough. It also feels more comfortable and more luxurious to me. I also prefer the feel of the V6 compared to the turbo 4, even though it eats up quite a bit more gas.

Hope I made the right decision. Look forward to learning and sharing on the W204 forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't look back; you definitely made the right choice. I did the comparison thing, too, and just picked up my 2013 C300 Sport last week. The comfort and interior quality are much better in the Benz. The C300's reliability and engine are better, and the C300's handling is at least as good as the BMW's, if not better, depending upon your priorities for your style of driving. I prefer the C300's incomparable solid feel and handling.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We've now owned our new, 2013, C250 almost a month, and the memory of our '08 C350 hasn't yet faded. The 350 was a spectacular car, the 250 is much different - it feels lighter on its feet, and feels more nimble. It's very peppy, as though Benz changed the gear ratios to accommodate the smaller engine, but, with less than 1,000 miles on the odo we're not yet using "S" mode for the trans. The jury is still out for me but only because our 350 was so great to drive (my wife loves the new car).

·
Registered
Infiniti G37
1 Posts
Hi ppl,

New member here and really interested in getting an MB soon. I drive an Infiniti G37 coupe at the moment, tuned to 300 whp and keeps me smiling all the time. Want to switch to MB for another car experience and they keep growing on me. BMW hasn't been my cup of tea, and I pray that they change that damn interior soon. And Audi, well I'll give my input a minute.

So went to test drive the new 2103 GLK 250 Bluetech for my bro in law, the pricing is same as the GLK 350 with the added bonus of great mileage. nice car and got preppy engine to it, didn't feel any short on the power. Would've definitely considered for myself if I didn't have a SUV.
So next was the 2013 C300 4matic, it was nice and drove nice, good power and torque wasn't bad. It kept pulling throughout the mid range all the way to redline. Next I switched to manual shifting, that was even more better. And later I realized, I was driving in the Eco mode.
Drove the 2013 c350 4 matic, felt little more power on this one but not significant enough. Mind you coming from a tuned g37 I can tell how a 300 whp should be pulling and it was doing as much, but it wasn't so bad.
I would choose the 300 over this c350, the former would deliver good enough power, save some gas and some cash.
Next we went to test drive the Audi's. First the Audi a4 2.0t, all I can say was I could've had more fun with a Honda Civic SI. Besides being a quattro, which gave a good handling experience, the power on this turbo pushing 2.0 4 cylinder didn't deliver the same oomph nor the experience a similar powered C300. BTW, not sure whats all the ho ha about the quattro cuz I think my g37 Sport could handle about the same. Maybe with a good suspension and handling mods, it could be better.

Sometimes I drive my G37 in snow/ice conditions using winter wheels, I'll tell you that no AWD option would beat a proper winter wheel setup. 4 matic or Quattro might give you better handling and less slippage but the added weight can cut down power and fuel economy. I would rather spend money on good tires and drive a RWD. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2007 c280 4matic
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just read in the NY times sunday car section that Mercedes will offer a diesel C class in 2014. Might be worth waiting for

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
We've now owned our new, 2013, C250 almost a month, and the memory of our '08 C350 hasn't yet faded. The 350 was a spectacular car, the 250 is much different - it feels lighter on its feet, and feels more nimble. It's very peppy, as though Benz changed the gear ratios to accommodate the smaller engine, but, with less than 1,000 miles on the odo we're not yet using "S" mode for the trans. The jury is still out for me but only because our 350 was so great to drive (my wife loves the new car).
Peter - Please update us on the comparison, now that you have thousands of miles on the C250.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts