Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C230K & 2009 E350
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please talk me into it or out of it! I'm considering purchasing a late model 2012 W221 with under 50K miles (under $30K) as my weekend pleasure car. I have owned, enjoyed, and maintained my '01 C230 Kompressor Coupe for over 250K miles, a '95 C280, and recently totally totaled my '09 E350 (rear end collision and not at fault).

Now looking for another sedan; and considering late model E (V6 only) or S, or a newer CPO S (under $50K). I am able and willing to afford the maintenance, just want to enjoy my weekends without much headache or heartache.

Any advice or experiences are appreciated.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,474 Posts
I was thinking about S class for years, but they never made it to America with good diesel ;)
The way I see it - S has its touch, but for a price. Those models are loaded with gadgets and gadgets break and require maintenance.
Nothing wrong with making hobby out of that..... but $30k hobby seems excessive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please talk me into it or out of it! I'm considering purchasing a late model 2012 W221 with under 50K miles (under $30K) as my weekend pleasure car. I have owned, enjoyed, and maintained my '01 C230 Kompressor Coupe for over 250K miles, a '95 C280, and recently totally totaled my '09 E350 (rear end collision and not at fault).

Now looking for another sedan; and considering late model E (V6 only) or S, or a newer CPO S (under $50K). I am able and willing to afford the maintenance, just want to enjoy my weekends without much headache or heartache.

I just bought mine. I had a problem with the front shocks. The car wouldn't release from sport mode. It was a very unpleasant ride for passengers.
However, since the repair it's the best small limousine baby Maybach luxury car I've owned without committing huge amounts of money to purchase it.
Hands down I'd say buy it with a caveat. Make sure you have someone look at the shocks, electrical (lights, e.t.c), transmission and oil.
If you have an ipod you can connect you cell phone to the stereo. However with android's Amazon has a bluetooth service that plugs info the ipod connector and allows for music streaming to you're radio.

I hope I was able to help. Good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,940 Posts
I bought my 2008 3 years ago and have put 50k miles on it. It's my daily driver, and the only thing I miss driving this car is the ability to haul lumber and building materials. Honestly it's a great platform and if you're committed to the maintenance I think you will love it.

There are several members here that have the later model S550 (V8 twin turbo) and thoroughly enjoy it. From my perspective the key to enjoying the S is understanding/appreciating its complexity and being willing to keep it sorted.

·
Registered
2007 SL550 (R230) and 2012 SClass Designo (W221)
30 Posts
Agree with all of the above. My 2012 S550-4matic is a dream to drive, significantly better than any other MB or Lexus or whatever. Its my winter car and summer road trip car. Make sure to change the tranny fluid if it has not been, (all the maintenance that is due for that matter). You' love the Twin turbos and torque for a car this size. Hopefully you are DIY or know an Indy, as things will wear with Age or Miles. Motor mounts is an example. My 2007 SL550 burned through a set in 28k miles (mainly due to Age IMHO) $650 to replace both and tranny mount. S550 with 98k burned through a set $2,000 to replace all three. These are normal maintenance items on MBs with big V8s. (perhaps others, too). Get the S-class, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I echo the front struts. Just replaced my right front on my 2012 S550. Got am error message that car was too low to drive. The ride was very uncomfortable. Considering replacing the left one soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 C230K & 2009 E350
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received enough negative input from my mechanic and good friend who leases these big boys. I opted for another E350. Safe bet, good ride. For the money I'm saving now and in the future, I'm going to Paris with my wife.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts