Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of my fellow mechanics out there could share the maintenance manual pages for the above job. My car has the large front brake rotors (360mm x 36mm). I plan to replace front and rear rotors and pads as I have a severe pulsation (I've read the various threads about what causes this, and I don't want to start a discussion on causes and whether rotor replacement is necessary). Mainly I need the torque values and whether I need to replace any of the hardware. As I recall, Mercedes sometimes recommends single-use fasteners in critical locations.

Any other hints, warnings or lessons learned would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply! I already purchased Akebono Euro Plus ceramic pads and OEM Front rotors. I found some vented and cross drilled rear rotors that ship next week. My VIN is WDDHF9BB4CA643542

Thanks again!
Mike

Edit (1-29-20): The Akebono pads were the wrong pads. As far as I can tell, they don't make ceramic pads to fit this rotor/caliper combination. I sent the Akebono pads back because I didn't want to mix friction formulations between the front and rear of the car. The original rear rotors I found were backordered for 2+ months, so I went searching again and ended up buying Power Stop rear rotors (pics below).

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In looking at the photo in the maintenance pages provided, the caliper looks different than mine. Any opinions on whether I need to replace the caliper bolts, or is it sufficient to clean them up and apply fresh Hi-temp Loctite 2422?

Mike

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thank you so much konigstiger!!

Mike

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the brakes changed and so far they feel really smooth. No more judder. Stopping distance might be slightly increased due to the non-metallic (ceramic/carbon) pads, but smooth stopping is well worth the effort. I also changed the rear rotors to a drilled & slotted style, which aesthetically enhances the sport appearance of the vehicle. The front pads proved more difficult to source from aftermarket vendors because of the large rotor (360x36mm), but Power Stop and Brembo both had the large front pads. Brembo offers both a semi metallic and NAO (NonAsbestos Organic ie. Ceramic) as well as inexpensive replacement rotors. Power Stop shown below.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got the brakes changed and so far they feel really smooth. No more judder. Stopping distance might be slightly increased due to the non-metallic (ceramic/carbon) pads, but smooth stopping is well worth the effort. I also changed the rear rotors to a drilled & slotted style, which aesthetically enhances the sport appearance of the vehicle. The front pads proved more difficult to source from aftermarket vendors because of the large rotor (360x36mm), but Power Stop and Brembo both had the large front pads. Brembo offers both a semi metallic and NAO (NonAsbestos Organic ie. Ceramic) as well as inexpensive replacement rotors. Power Stop shown below.

View attachment 2618674 View attachment 2618677
I purchased the Power Stop Drilled & Slotted Rotors & Brembo Ceramic Pads for the fronts on my ‘14 E250 4Matic. After 30-40 days I identified and confirmed that my Rotors were warped. I spoke to Power Stop and they sent out a replacement set. My mechanic removed & replaced the Rotors. Two months later my fronts were acting up again. Brought it back to my mechanic. He pulled the Brembo Pads off and immediately noticed that about 1/2” on the outside of the pads were not warn but everything else was.

My original Rotors and the first Power Stop Rotors were 12.6” OD. The Power Stop replacements were 11.6” OD.

I put on new Pads and have started the escalation to Power Stop about them sending the wrong OD for my car.

Learn from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought OEM rotors, as that is the more demanding application. Hopefully I'll get reasonable mileage out of my Power Stop pads. If I encounter problems or poor longevity, I'll certainly report back. Sorry to hear about your experience. I've used Ate rotors in the past on my E320 CDI with good results, but they did not have a front rotor for my car.

Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought OEM rotors, as that is the more demanding application. Hopefully I'll get reasonable mileage out of my Power Stop pads. If I encounter problems or poor longevity, I'll certainly report back. Sorry to hear about your experience. I've used Ate rotors in the past on my E320 CDI with good results, but they did not have a front rotor for my car.

Mike
I bought my OEMs from Rock Auto. When the 12.6” rotors warped I worked directly with Power Stop. When they replaced the warped ones I referenced my original Rock Auto Order. Someone there made the error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-W212, 2010-C216, 2008-997
6 Posts
Edit: It's 20:30 over here and I just realized that you already conducted the work so my details are a day late, dollar short. sorry. It's the wine.

Hi,
I just pulled these documents from Daimler system based on your VIN. It should help. If you need the OEM part numbers for spare parts, just ask and I'll enter your VIN in that system.

BTW, ATE and Brembo are main suppliers for Bremse components and sub-systems. I won't comment on off-shore brands but you can figure it out.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts