Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 C250 Sport Blue Efficiency
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have stopped in the forum to read comments now and then, but just now getting to make my first post. So, I'm a newcomer.

I have loved my 2012 C250 Sports since the day I got it. My check engine light came on recently. The diagnostics today gives the following codes:
0705 - Component Y3/8s1 Selection range sensor (VGS) is defective
0606 - Component Y3/8n4 Fully Integrated Transmission Control (VGS) Control Unit is Faulty
2783 - The friction power of the torque converter lockup clutch is too high

The mechanic suggested that I need a new transmission from the dealer. However, from reading several post on this forum and a 722.9 transmission presentation I ran across, it seems that an actual failure of the Range Sensor will put the car in limp-home mode. So, could this be a communication failure??

One sad situation I find myself in, given the knowledge I have acquired the last 48hrs, is the fact that I have not done a transmission flush since I purchase the car, due to not being informed! Although I have done all scheduled services in my garage and at the dealership(given some discount). I purchased it at 63k and now has 90k. I am thinking of doing a Transmission fluid change in my garage with some DIY threads on this forum, but it would be worthless if I had to do a Trans repair.

Where is a good starting point to troubleshoot? Has anyone had similar issues (no limp-home mode or Transmission slip, but Range sensor code + TCU code)?

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
162 Posts
You should definitely start with the least expensive options so you don't end up throwing parts at it which will get quite expensive.

For the 722.9, the transmission fluid and filter change interval is 39k miles so definitely get all the fluid changed along with the filter as a start and let's see if that makes a difference.

That's what I'd start with given that you're not experiencing any problems and it's jus stored errors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xsever,

Thank you. I was thinking about that as well. I will get the transmission fluid changed out this week. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
162 Posts
Xsever,

Thank you. I was thinking about that as well. I will get the transmission fluid changed out this week. I'll keep y'all posted.
I also forgot to tell you that since the car was scanned and you wrote down the fault codes, I hope you erased the faults after for us to see if they will reappear.

As you might know, fault codes in Mercedes cars can be either stored (old) or stored and current. This will allow us to know if this was just a one-off communication blip or a persistent problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure. I'll do an erase with the flush. I just got my Launch X431 Creader VII+ delivered as I plan on doing the flush myself - if possible. Currently reading to find the correct oil and filter + tools needed. If I break even with the cost, I'll get it done myself.

The shop that read the code charged $45 for the scan and would not allow the diagnostics fee to be used towards the transmission fluid change. I had them do my service A. I realized they only did the oil change (with significant overfill on the gauge), didn't top off other fluids or clear the codes properly - I had a Service B code come up immediately after picking up the car, which does not quite make sense to me as my Service A alert had only been on for 2 weeks.

I'm contemplating doing the transmission fluid change myself or taking it to the dealer at $360 + tax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completed the fluid and filter change today. Did a thorough cleaning of the Solenoids, and the entire valve body including the hall effect sensor around the selection range sensor.
On completing the job, I did a reset and all the codes erased successfully. I started the car and the check engine light was gone!

Decided to go on a spin later and noticed that the light was back. Here are the codes that came back...
0705 - Component Y3/8s1 Selection range sensor (VGS) is defective (this is stored and current)
0606 - Component Y3/8n4 Fully Integrated Transmission Control (VGS) Control Unit is Faulty

I did an erase again and upon restarting, the code was gone. Drove around for about 1 hr, with no issues and no light. The transmission is shifting great. But...,When I pulled into my garage and restart, the code came back!

Is there any other way to troubleshoot the conductor plate or this issue directly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there did you fix your car? ? I met the exactly same codes 0705 & 0606 with your car. The mechanism Says something wrong with the valve body...which costs $2400 for order the parts and labor. Another place said $1200. No idea which is about right..

·
Registered
1978 350SE W116,1984 200 W123, 1984 500SEC C126, 1991 500SL R129, 2003 CL500, 2011 E200 Estate
45 Posts
Hi, I have exactly the same issue on my wifes 2011 E200 W212 with codes 0705 & 0606. At the moment I'm just ignoring the glowing engine light as the car drives fine and the dealer wants to replace the valve body and control unit at once which isn't cheap

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
219 Posts
www.circuitboardmedics.com

Your conductor plate needs repair. If you can do a tranny fluid change, you can pull the conductor plate. Just be careful when pulling it from the transmission. Push down on the connector from outside the tranny after disconnecting the harness. (Search youtube for the official MB video.)

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
219 Posts
Hi, I have exactly the same issue on my wifes 2011 E200 W212 with codes 0705 & 0606. At the moment I'm just ignoring the glowing engine light as the car drives fine and the dealer wants to replace the valve body and control unit at once which isn't cheap
Depending on which generation 722.9 you have, the dealer may be able to just replace the conductor plate. Early cars like my 2004 SL500 need to replace the valve body assembly, as well. The cheaper alternative is to pull the assembly and send the conductor plate to www.circuitboardmedics.com (or whoever you want) for repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts